Macbook Pro Mid-2015 fans not spinning up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HarryWhitehurst, Oct 15, 2015.

1. HarryWhitehurst macrumors newbie

I've recently (last week) purchased a Macbook Pro, and after noticing the Macbook getting very hot I installed smcFanControl. I've noticed that shortly after powering on the laptop the fans simply stop spinning. Obviously this is a major issue (and after a quick Google it doesn't seem to be a common one) however I was wondering if there's something simple that I'm overlooking, as this is the first Mac I've owned in a few years!
    Thanks for any responses!

2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

3. HarryWhitehurst thread starter macrumors newbie

Already tried that unfortunately, that's a real pain! Thanks for the help, though!

4. xhonato macrumors newbie

xhonato

Before two weeks i installed istat pro menu and i saw on my macbook pro retina 13" Early 2015 that fans dont work..
    I called apple service and they said that the fan will work only when the macbook will have high temperature..

5. HarryWhitehurst thread starter macrumors newbie

I was under the impression that the fans should always be running at a low speed at the minimum, as the MBPs use quite high-wattage processors.
    Anyway, I discovered that it was something to do with smcFanControl as upon preventing it from starting up the laptop's fans respond appropriately to CPU load. Obviously the software is not fully compatible with the newer MacBooks!

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I have SmcFanControl installed.
    Fan (it is a single fan on the rMBP 13") is reported a 0 RPM and CPU temp is 28°C, very low, while web browsing.

Launching an online stress test the CPU temp ramps up .... passing 60°C the fan start spinning at 1600 rpm.
    Continuing the test the temperature reaches 70°C and the fan rotates at 2476 RPM.

I think smcFanControl is working perfectly well, and the new rMBP just are very cool machines, so the fan is activated only when necessary....

7. HarryWhitehurst thread starter macrumors newbie

In which case maybe the issue is something that's only affecting me, as the fan would remain constantly at 0RPM regardless of CPU load whilst smcFanControl was running. The fan would also not re-engage if I raised the minimum RPMs, so there's definitely something going wrong somewhere!
    It was a strange issue though, as the fan would initially spin up to what ever RPM i wanted, but within a minute would completely turn off and I found no way of spinning it up again without a restart.
    Anyway, thanks for the responses guys, and I'll try using the fan control software again at a later date when hopefully whatever issue I'm experiencing is fixed!