Macbook Pro mid2010 having issues with GFX?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stormquist, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Stormquist macrumors newbie

Hi,

My mid2010 MBP 15" has been experiencing issues as of late where the geforce330m stops working while in win7.

If I'm using something graphics intensive the computers screen will go black and the machine will stop responding to any input.
    If it happens while at the desktop screen there's a notice that the driver has crashed and has been restored, normal use can continue after this.

This started happening out of the blue a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if anyone are experiencing the same?
    I've tried updating drivers, using older drivers; but nothing works. The MBP continues to do this at random.

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated:)

PS- The OSx side of things is running Lion, I haven't done anything graphics intensive in Lion so I'm not sure if it effects both OS.

Thanks,

2. Inside_line macrumors regular

I've not experienced this.

Are you using the bootcamp drivers on the included system-specific disc? This is what I've been using.... the ones included with snow leopard.

Are you playing games on it or doing something else?

3. Stormquist thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I've tried both the supplied drivers off the dvd and ones downloaded through Apple, both yield the same random freezes.

Games, movies, idle at desktop, it seems to happen at complete random.

I've always had a program installed to keep an eye on temperatures, but they're the same they've always been so it isn't overheating.

4. suprmario macrumors newbie

Logic Board

I had VERY similar issues(mid 2010 15 in macbook pro), and after 2 trips to the genius bar, we determined that the logic board needed to be replaced. I think this is usually a default response, but it worked and I no longer had the issue. Sadly, I did not have apple care.

Like you, I tried every driver out there i could find for the gfx card before taking it in. GOOD LUCK :)

5. Stormquist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I found an article that stated that my mid2010 model has a known issue with the logic board and that Apple would replace it outside of the normal two year warranty.

Will definitely be in touch with the store I bought it from and have them check if it applies to me, the modelnumbers match up atleast.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?viewlocale=en_US

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have noticed this issue, however I tracked mine down to a driver issue. Running regular boot camp drivers does NOT have this issue, at least for me.