MacBook Pro Migration Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMacZealot, Jan 19, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

My sister bought a MacBook pro about two hours ago. Were charging it right now, but we are wondering how we should transfer her files
    from her old PowerBook.

I've always seen migration assistant, but surprisingly, I've never used it. Is it recommended? Should I just load the PowerBook in target disk mode with command-T?

How long does migration assistant take to transfer 30 gb of files?

Thanks!

2. aosman macrumors 6502

My experience with the migration assistant was always pretty good. You will probably have to start up the PowerBook in Firewire Target Mode, it shouldn't take long at all (Firewire is somewhat fast)

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

We ended up doing that, and it's amazing! It loads EVERYTHING...very nicely done.

The only problem we had was that in the last twenty or thirty minutes of the process, the PowerBook started showing this battery indicator at the bottom screen (looked like an energizer batter), and it began to flash a few minutes later before ultimately powering off, ending the transfer process, and having us restart the process from the beginning. Why?

4. elmo151 Guest

it's like magic. do it.

First I'd clean up the old powebook. Delete stuff you don't need Use AppZapper (or the equivalent) to get rid of programs and associated files you don't need. fix permissions.

all will go well :)

5. ShortCutMan macrumors member

Although I have never booted a computer into target disk mode, my guess is that the battery was running low. ;)

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

...while we were charging it?

We postulate that the battery is beginning to die for good. C'est possible?

7. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Definitely possible. Take the battery out, plug in the charger and try again. If the battery is not in then it cant run out can it?

Glad you found the migration assistant - probably one of my favourite OS X features.