MACBook Pro Migration

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saihtamj, Sep 17, 2011.

1. saihtamj macrumors newbie

I have a new MacBook Pro runing OSX 10.6.8.
    My old system is running 10.5.8.

I have used Time Machine to perform regular backups as well as SuperDuper to save my entire 10.5.8 system to a remote drive.

I know there are several options to migrating data from my old Mac to the new one, e.g. Migration Assistant.

However, I have several applications installed on the 10.5.8 system and many of these applications have license keys, e.g. Tech Tool Pro.

Can these applications that are running on 10.5.8 be easily "migrated" to the new Mac, retaining the license key or do I have to reinstall every unique application and get new license keys ?

Thank

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Why don't you just try it and see how it goes? Knowing whether or not they will work wouldn't really stop you from doing it would it?

Therefore, doing it and finding out is... well, what you're going to ultimately do.

But to answer your question, generally, no, because it is a clone of the machine itself. To an extent. Microsoft Office seems to give people some problems though.

3. saihtamj thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to follow-up in case someone else has similar question/concern.

Used Migration Assistance and pulled all the applications from old MAC to my new MAC. I had to find some licenses for applications that required them but they all appear to run fine.

Thanks