MacBook Pro Mini Displayport HDMI Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hoagiedogy, Jun 12, 2011.

1. hoagiedogy macrumors newbie

I have the first model of the 13" MacBook Pro with the Mini Displayport to HDMI converter. As far as I can tell, it only carries video despite the fact that HDMI normally carries both audio and video. I believe the newer MacBook Pro's can send both audio and video. Is this related to different hardware in the computer? If so, can I upgrade my hardware to send both audio and video out of my Mini Displayport? Or if there's an easier solution... let me know!

Thanks!

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

The audio/ video out capability first came in the 2010 version. No, other than replacing the entire Logic board (and it might not work even then due to mounting/grounding points and port locations, etc) would you be able to upgrade your hardware to this capability.There is an adaptor that allows the audio out using a usb connection in addition to your md port, but that is your only viable option aside from purchasing a newer model.

3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

4. hoagiedogy thread starter macrumors newbie

@xxBURT0Nxx

Thanks for your post! I think either of those would work perfectly! What is the advantage of the second one? (the more expensive one)?

Thanks

5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

The first one just uses usb to pass audio to the HDMI cable. It will only support 2 ch. stereo sound, not support dolby 5.1 surround sound.

The second cable still connects to usb, but it's just for power. It also includes a toslink optical audio cable which you would connect from the audio out on your mac to the audio input on the adapter to get true digital sound through your HDMI cable.

6. hoagiedogy thread starter macrumors newbie

xxBURT0Nxx

Thats what I figured! Thanks for all the help.... what an easy solution!

7. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

What are you trying to do? A MDP-DVI adapter and audio cable to your device would be the most straightforward and probably cheapest solution. I use that on my Mac Mini.