MacBook Pro mini-displayport question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GreasySpoon.Uk, Oct 19, 2009.

1. GreasySpoon.Uk macrumors newbie

Hey
    I've been looking into getting a "colour accurate" display to link up to a MBP. I have had previous experience with Eizo monitors at college and have found them to be of good quality so have decided to buy one myself.

The particular monitor I’m looking at is the Eizo ColorEdge CG243W. I have noticed from reading the specs that its capable of displaying the following;
    “DVI: 16.77 million from a palette of 68 billion
    DisplayPort: 1.07 billion from a palette of 68 billion”

From those figure it would appear that by connecting the monitor via DisplayPort you would be able to display around 50 times the number of colours compared with connecting via DVI.

However apple only sells a Mini-DisplayPort to DVI/VGA cable and not a DisplayPort to Mini-DisplayPort cable. I have seen such cables from third parties but my question is, would a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable still be capable of displaying the 1.07 billion colours or would this be reduced to ‘only’ 16.77 Million such as using a Mini-DisplayPort to DVI/VGA cable.

Whilst I realise there are some topics already about DisplayPort to Mini-DisplayPort cables, none of them seem to address the issues with the amount of colours displayed with their use.

Regards,
    GS

2. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

While I don't have a technical response to the mini-to regular display port question, I think the cable shouldn't degrade anything. It should just be a physical form change. But at the same time, I'm thinking you will only get the 16.7 million colors based on the technical specs of the MBP. It says "millions of colors" and I'm thinking that (neither one of the) video cards is capable of that high of quality display. But that's just my best guess.

3. ymarker macrumors member

mini displayport to display port cable $4.15 at monoprice. I ordered this last week. Should be here sometime this week. I'll post when I hook it up to my dell 2408wfp (which has a regular display port). My mac mini has the mini-DP.

AFAIK, this cheap cable doesn't do any fancy conversions. Simply accommodates for the smaller size of the mini-dp. Thus what you feed it should be what you get on the other end.

4. ymarker macrumors member

The cheap $4 miniDP to DP cable works! Attached proof.

Attached Files: