Macbook pro model NO:A1278 upgrade or replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zather, Jul 5, 2012.

  1. Zather macrumors newbie

    Jul 5, 2012

    I'm having thoughts of replacing my macbook pro model NO.A1278 because of the low Space 250GB and slow operation with the Apreture program and Lightroom 4.

    Do I have to replace it to get smooth operation or can I just upgrade some parts and it's going to be smooth ? i already upgraded the ram to 8GB. 4GB for each stick the brand is crucel From

    I need your advices please guys all of you are welcome for your openions :)
  2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040


    May 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    A1278 just identifies the chassis, so it's a 13" MacBook/MacBook Pro made anywhere from 2008 to the current day.

    Can you get the model identifier for the machine?

    Can be found by clicking :
    Apple Menu
    About this Mac
    More Info
    System Report (if you're on Lion).
  3. Zather, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

    Zather thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 5, 2012
    Oh yeah sure sorry :confused:

    Modle identifier macbookpro5,5

    And yeah it is a 13in
  4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a


    May 3, 2011
    Perrysburg, OH
    Processor Speed, RAM, HDD space? That's not enough.
  5. Zather thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 5, 2012
    Intel core 2 duo
    2.53 GHz
    Number of prossessors 1
    Total number of cores 2
    L2 cache 3MB
    Memory 8GB
    Bus speed 1.07 GHz
    Hard drive 250 GB 5400 rpm
  6. Zather thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 5, 2012
    Guys can someone recommend something for me guys ? Can I improve the performance by upgrading some parts or buying a new MacBook pro will be the best option for me ?
  7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

    Jul 28, 2011
    Performance counts for many different things. You have to specify where you're having a problem with it. If you're talking about boot times/opening and closing application times, then you could upgrade to a SSD. If you just mean it sucks for gaming, then there's nothing you can do bar buying a new machine.

    Oh, are you talking about Lightroom and aperture performance only? I don't use those applications, but I suspect the CPU would be your main limiting factor. Specify more whats slow - rendering times?
  8. Zather thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 5, 2012
    Yeah working with lightroom improting pictures and stuff its too hard to open these 2 applications togeather the lightroom 4 and apreture 3
    And while the apreture 3 is processing something it gets extra gluchty :confused:
    I just want to know If I can run my macbook pro smoothly with these 2 applications on :confused: SSD ? And someone tould me to change the fan for a better one from or something like that website
    I'm not intrested in gaming I just want to work on my photography and some iWorks files and office files where I don't have any problem with at the moment
  9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030


    Mar 22, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    For performance, buy a SSD.
    I recommend a 256GB or 512GB Crucial M4 SSD.
    They are cheap now days.
    Although you wont be able to have the speed of SATAIII, its still fast compared to 5400rom drive.

    For your use, the main problem would be processor.
    You would want a i5 for a smooth rendering but C2D should be fine.
    But SSD upgrade is the only thing you can pretty much do on your Mac, since you already maxed out you RAM.
  10. idevs macrumors newbie

    Oct 14, 2011
    What workflow are you using that requires Aperture _and_ Lightroom. Both of these applications perform the same functions. They are also Disk IO and CPU hogs.

    Changing to a SSD might help with Disk IO speed but if you are holding a lot of images the cost of a large enough SSD might be eye watering. There is little you can do to improve CPU performance - you have maxed out the memory at 8GB.

    One thing to note is you mention aperture is extra slow - it also depends heavily on the GPU so that might be a bottleneck for you..

    Bottom line is you may be able to try the SSD option, and if that is not enough help then I'm afraid it's new MacBook time. You could of course move that new SSD across into a new machine so it wouldnt be lost
  11. Zather thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 5, 2012
    Thanks guys for the help and yeah I really need these 2 application up and running at the same time specially when my CF is hooked up on the usp port

    I'll look though the SSD options and i'll see wif I can afford a new macbook pro ATM
  12. filmak macrumors 65816

    Jun 21, 2012
    between earth and heaven
    Please edit your post and delete your serial nr.
    Never post it again.

Share This Page