MacBook Pro Model Year

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lannoc, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Lannoc macrumors member

I have an unopened MacBook Pro and the serial number is invalid when I try and look it up. Assuming that's because it's not registered, is there another way to confirm the model year?

Thanks,

2. chscag macrumors 68000

What do you mean the serial number is invalid? Even if the box it's in has never been opened, the serial number when entered at the Apple site will give you info regarding the machine and its warranty status. This is the correct site to lookup the serial number at.

3. Lannoc thread starter macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2016 ---
    I tried entering the serial number several times (changing the O's for zeroes, and it keeps coming back "invalid". I'll keep trying with other combinations and see if I can get it to work.
    Thanks

4. chscag macrumors 68000

You may eventually have to open the box and check the serial number on the machine itself if the number on the box is misprinted. Although, it's hard to believe that it could be a misprint but I guess it could happen.

5. Lannoc thread starter macrumors member

Likely me without my glasses. Lol. I'll try again when I can read it properly.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

7. Lannoc thread starter macrumors member

I am not sure if I am going to keep it or not.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

So you've been holding onto it for a few years, waiting to decide?

9. Lannoc thread starter macrumors member

No, I just got it through work this week and tried to look up the serial number. I didn't want to open it if I wasn't going to keep it.

10. chabig macrumors 68040

It just seems odd that they purchased a new MacBook Pro some years ago and never opened it.

11. Lannoc thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure where you got the idea that it was purchased "some years ago"?

12. chabig, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

chabig macrumors 68040

I got that idea because you seem unable to identify the model year, which would be easy if it were new, no? If it has a touch bar, it's 2016. If it doesn't, it's 2015. If neither of those options is correct, it was in fact purchased "some years ago".

13. Lannoc thread starter macrumors member

Maybe I am missing something, but is there somewhere on the box that indicates the year? I searched the model and it refers to machines back to 2012. I thought I could search using the serial number but Apple says it is invalid.
    Is there another way to find the model year build without opening the box and turning it on?

Thanks,

14. chabig macrumors 68040

Yes. You can compare the specs of the machine to what shipped in various years. You can also find out using the Part No. or Model No. All of that information is on the box label.

There is a useful database app you can get to compare those things: http://mactracker.ca

15. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

16. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Why are you so concerned? Work has given you a MBP. Enjoy.