Macbook (Pro) models that are known to die prematurely

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by antonio99, Feb 8, 2017.

1. antonio99 macrumors member

Feb 2, 2017
    I was just watching this: and I wondered what are the known models that die prematurely, from GPU or other issues.

Anybody knows if there's a list somewhere? The guy mentioned model A1150.
  2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

Nov 23, 2011
    15" & 17" 2008. NVIDIA failures.
    15" & 17" 2011. Radeon failures.
    15" Retina MacBook Pro, 2012-Early 2013. NVIDIA Failures.

It's worth noting that the above list are just ones that had official repair programs. An AASP I keep in contact have said that the GPU failure rate on the 15" 2012 cMBP is pretty much identical to that of the same year rMBP. However I've got that machine myself (as have a few people I know) and none of us have had an issue with it, so I guess we're lucky.

Overall though, every portable Mac since around 2007 with a discreet graphics card has historically had a higher Logic Board failure rate than the ones with integrated graphics only.
  3. David58117 macrumors 65816

Jan 24, 2013
    Yep - just stay away from dGPUs. With Apple, they're ticking time bombs.
  4. antonio99 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 2, 2017
    So basically the ones with discrete "powerful" GPUs then.
    Because AFAIK there are a few Macbooks 13" (White and Alu) that also sport NVidia graphics (9400M and 320M).
    Although GPUs are actually embedded in the chipset (north and south bridges), right?
    Have there been any known issues with those?
  5. keysofanxiety, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

Nov 23, 2011
    I can't speak for the Alu 13" MacBook, but in my experience, the 2009 Unibody White MacBook was one of the most reliable machines Apple have ever made. They were selling them for years and the Logic Board failure rate was practically non-existent.

Throw in 8GB RAM, an SSD, and it's still a massively capable machine today for very little cash. The trackpad is the great one-button multitouch and have all the same gestures that we're used to. Still better than any non-Apple trackpad on the market IMO. The build quality in general is solid and the design is charming. I'd easily take it over any new £350 Windows laptop (genuinely).
  6. rampancy, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

rampancy macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2002
    In my experience, the early model MacBook Pros (Core Duo and Core 2 Duo) with Radeon Mobility X1600 graphics were fairly reliable machines too, at least when it came to the GPU. Most of the problems that machines of those vintage have now (overheating) are related to the thermal paste requiring changing.

When it comes to machines on the used market, I treat any machine with GeForce 8600m GT graphics as anathema. If a Mac like that isn't already hosed, it's just living on borrowed time.

It's also worth remembering that the plastic MacBooks (unibody and non-unibody) equipped with GeForce 320m and GeForce 9400m graphics had integrated graphics.

Edit: While I largely agree with the guy in the video the OP posted about the problems with Apple prioritizing aesthetics over thermal management, he doesn't seem to know that MacBooks largely draw air through the keyboard.
  7. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2007
    2007 Macbook Pro had the infamous faulty Nvidia 8600, and both Apple and Nvidia knew the gpu was a time bomb but still replaced them with the same exact dud gpu. There was a class action law suit against Nvidia.