MacBook Pro+monitor: a good idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sleeplesser, Dec 14, 2010.

1. sleeplesser macrumors newbie

I need to buy a new computer for office use, and at the same time I would like to take it home to get some work done. Do you think it is a good idea to have a MacBook Pro + an external monitor? This means I need to plug in and out every day. Can MBP endure it for say 2-3 years?
    Thanks a lot!

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

With older children, I'm considering getting rid of the desktop and switching completely over to laptops only. However, there are times when my family and I need more real estate screen size.

Apple makes a Cinema Display (21.5" & 27") that is tailored for the MBP. You can plug USB devices into the display (such as a printer, etc.,) and not have to worry about disconnecting them when you dock/undock your MBP at work.

If you're considering this route, I recommend using your MBP with the Cinema display at work. This will allow you to bring the MBP home to continue your work.

Plugging in and out is very simple and the MBP will not endure any additional wear or tear because of it. Look up the Cinema Display on Apple's website to get some more info...Caution, it is expensive!

Cosmo

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

:eek:

just kidding. Powerbook guys have been doing that for several years now. Both system administrators and academics (my coworkers) also use this configuration. Apple even designed a monitor just for the occasion:
    [​IMG]

4. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

Just Don't close the shell when doing heavy operations.
    You don't want to trap all the heat.

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I do this every day (plug/unplug).

I picked up one of the 23" 1080p monitors that Newegg had for sale not too long ago for only $140. Not the best quality, but is sure is nice for research projects and anything that requires a lot of screen real-estate.

6. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I'm planning on using my 32" HDTV... Is that overkill?

7. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

It'll be good for movies and pics, but that's about it. Text is a pain to read since the pixel density is so low.

8. wakemac macrumors member

I also do this everyday and have for over a year. I put my MBP on a stand and leave it open for dual monitors, then use a wireless keyboard and mouse. Works great.

9. dime21 macrumors 6502

LOL, what? I don't think you are familiar with the Powerbook / Macbook Pro design. It does not vent ANY heat through the keyboard. All heat is vented through the grille at the back, near the hinge. The Powerbook and Macbook Pro are designed specifically to operate with the shell closed.

It is the standard Macbook (and iBook) that ventilate through the keyboard, and will overheat if you run them at high utilization with the lid closed.

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Easily. I've done this for almost 4 years and it works brilliantly. If you need some portability/work in two places, it's the way to do it :)

11. crypticlineage macrumors regular

a bit different configuration

I am also in the same boat and considering having an external monitor. I have been using 9 spaces now to accommodate files and many time I end up having at least 6 large excel files open so it gets very cumbersome on the 13" mbp.

However I would not want to use an external keyboard, trackpad and/or mouse. So ideally what I want is a dual display that will allow me to use my mbp monitor and an external monitor at the same time. They'll not mirror each other necessarily. That way I don't need external keyboard and mouse.

I am sure many have this set up and I would like some feedback from these folks. What are the pitfalls of having such a set up?

OP: Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I think people weighing on my questions will likely help your situation too. Thanks.

12. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

Yes

13. deeesea macrumors 6502

been doing this for a year on a old macbook, and since...i dunno when I got this laptop haha. It should be fine :D

14. miata macrumors 6502

Not only is it a good idea, it is the only way for me to do serious work.

15. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

perfect idea. and the mbp can definitely handel it.

16. blackreplica macrumors member

Another vouch for your proposed configuration. I work as a pilot and therefore bring my laptop with me everytime i go on layover flights. When i'm home i plug it to my 27 inch ACD and when its time to work, i unplug it and bring my MBP with me. It works great and i couldn't be happier

17. ayale99 macrumors 6502

It's the only way to go.

I work in an office of about 60 people that all have an external monitor and a laptop that they take to & from work. I've been doing it for so long, it seems like the norm now. Desktops are a thing of the past for me.

I'd also suggest the Dell Ultra Sharp 24" As your external monitor. I use one at home and the office. Works great with the MBP & has a 4 extra usb ports, hdmi, & card reader.

18. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

i do it and its perfect....not a prob

19. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I use a 24"monitor with my 15" MacBook pro all the time, sometimes I just like sitting at my home office doing work, and it's a pleasure having a nice big monitor in from of my face,,,,, then again, my wife has a 13" and she likes being able to do photo books on the monitor as it's easier to manage pics etc on it.....so the monitor with a laptop for me is better than an iMac....its all in what you do though....I am able to open word on one half and browse reference material on the other half easily and that makes all the difference in the world....I imagine on a 27" it's that much better....

20. crypticlineage macrumors regular

One thing that most of you haven't mentioned is if you use use mbp screen together with external monitor. In other words, no external keyboard or mouse, plus two screens at once.

21. sleeplesser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your comments and replies. They are very helpful!

crypticlineage, it is perfectly fine. I would love to hear people's comments on this too.

22. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

This is the only way that I use my external monitor. It's nice having to workspaces.

23. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Chase: Do you mirror your displays or have separate content on each? If not mirrored, do you get the dock on both screens?

24. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I know you can duplicate the Menu with Secondbar, but I have not seen a similar app for the dock.

25. keantan macrumors regular

+1 for a good idea.

while i do understand that having low pixel density makes reading text a pain, if you have a lot of it (like coding) having it that little bit bigger does wonders for eye stress. i find it much easier to read with the text SLIGHTLY bigger than standard

im using a 24" 1080p samsung panel with my 15" mbp (spanning). : ) not regretted buying it since.