Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spgator1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Hi, I'm not sure what's going on with my macbook, but every one in a while about 2/3 of my screen goes gray, while the other 1/3 displays everything perfectly fine. This happens when I turn it on or wake it up after its been asleep for a while. It has occurred once while it was awake. Attached is a visual example of what I'm talking about. Sometimes everything returns to normal after its booted, and other times it doesn't go out. When it is running with the grey screen everything works fine, because I can open windows and if I guess right I can open up applications from the dock, and it eventually disappears after so many apps are opened, i sleep it and wake it up, or completely restart the computer. Any ideas of what's going wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 54

digitalpencil

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Manchester, UK
I've never seen anything like that before but it doesn't seem like a hardware fault. Perhaps something to do with the display drivers not refreshing correctly when it wakes from sleep. Before taking it back, i'd consider doing a fresh install and see if that resolves the problem. Otherwise, i'm afraid taking it back to apple is your only option.

tspore

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
my MBP is doing the same thing basically if I clamp the right side of the monitor it doesn't do it anymore. So It looks like a hardware issue to me. I will try to reinstall my OS but I think its hardware to me. :(

free.me.today

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2008
I have also got the same problem :(, has any one manage to resolve the problem or found out why it occurs... it will be great to hear from anyone. Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.