MacBook Pro Monitor Won't Turn On

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Sep 11, 2009.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Earlier this summer, my iMac suffered a crashed Logic Board. Thankfully AppleCare took care of the $900 it would have cost to replace it.

Earlier today I put my MacBook Pro to sleep by closing the lid. About 2 hours later I went to open the lid and the monitor never turned on. The white light is on in the front. I restarted it and the light remained on and the monitor did not turn on. I unplugged all devices and restarted and still no luck. The Number Lock key lights up and the sound works fine - but no display.

Could this be another failed Logic Board or a failed chip set from here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Are there some other types of methods I should try (PRAM Reset, etc.) If I have to bring it in, thankfully AppleCare covers this Mac for another year. What horrible luck - college just started.

Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The SMC and PRAM resets are definitely applicable in this situation. You can also try booting to the install disc which will identify whether the issue is with software or hardware. If you have video booting to the install disc but not when starting normally, it's software. If you still got no video with either, it's hardware.

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Well explained. I'll try SMC and PRAM and then the disc. Thanks!

4. ZionSV macrumors newbie

did you find a solution because mine does the same thing every time. If I close the lid the screen won't shut off and the mouse disappears, the comp freezes and I need to restart (even happens if I click :apple:>sleep). Also if the display does shut off, it will never come back on after reopening and I'm forced to restart... :(

5. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

This happened a lot to me and then it just stopped for like 6 months or something. This is the final straw as it looks to be a Logic Board failure. You should get yours checked out.

SMC Reset - Failed
    PRAM Reset - Failed
    Boot From Install CD - Failed, Still No Video

I'm also going to get a new CD/DVD drive because mine is bent and rattles every time I insert a CD or DVD. I can't even burn a disc without covering the computer with pillows and blankets to hide the incredible loudness of the process of burning.

6. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

UPDATE

I can mount the MBP on my iMac via AirPort and Target Disk Mode

7. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Do a permissions check/repair using disk utility. Be prepared to wait though the one time I tried it, took 18 hours but that was cos I basically screwed the while systme lol:)

PTP

8. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

How will I be able to see what happens?

9. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Just looked at this page again:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

"In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within three years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty."

I got my computer for Christmas 2007. I believe I qualify for this as this conversation already exists here:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10193532#10193532

But I'm curious how to find out my Serial Number and Graphics Card information without being able to see the screen?

I know this off the top of my head:
    Specs:
    17-inch MacBook Pro
    2.66GHz Core 2 Duo
    4GB DDR2 SDRAM
    200GB 7200rpm HD
    Leopard 10.5.8

10. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

When you plug the MBP into the imac- turn off the MBP before you do, then press, and hold T. It will boot into target disk mode, this will then mount the MBP as if it was any other drive.

Using disk utility you will then be able to access the drives disk health as such, and perform disk verify/repair, and also do a permissions verify/repair.

Looking at the other posts you posted, i went to wikipedia... so if you skip down about a page on this here wiki link, theres a big long ole list with the whole of the macbook pro line.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbook_pro

It would seem that the 8600GT M, Which is the faulty card model, as you noted in your post is the one in your machine. I would take it to a genius bar to comfirm that. The machines have a 3 year guarantee, provided by Apple to get customers outta sticky situations :)

If it does indeed turn out to be screwed up, you should also be able to backup your stuff using the afore mentioned target mode

PTP

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377- this should give you some reassurance :)

11. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I didn't realize I could do it like that. I've used Target Mode twice today but never knew I could repair permissions via TDM.

You forgot to remove the "-" in the address. I'm almost positive that this is the issue. There is no Genius Bar anywhere near me. Thankfully there is a authorized Apple Dealership 45 minutes from where I am.

Thanks for the Disk verify/repair info. I'll try that later tonight or tomorrow. Since there is only 39GB remaining on the 200GB hard drive, I presume it will take all night or even longer to complete the task.

12. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Yup i believe the target disk mode has been built into OSX since panther, if not then definitely tiger. Good luck with the video card. It is definitely an acknowledged problem by Apple, and i think nVidia have put out something a coupla months back. So it should be a question of getting them to look at it, and then they swap out the card. :)

PTP

13. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Just Verified the Disk. It took about 8 minutes.
    Picture 2.png

Should I go about Repairing the Disk? I am supposed to back up everything before or after I repair the disk?

Thanks.

14. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Generally you don't have to backup the machine before or after at all. Asides from the normal backups you do anyways with superduper,ccc or time machine. If the volume says it's ok. Then I would just back up your stuff asap. N get it to an apple place asap. Backing everything up before you take it in-should be able to use carbon copy to do a complete copy of your entire os. Even though the drive is in another computer due to it being effectively just another drive that the iMac can see. :)

PTP

15. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I would be backing up 146GB of data. The iMac has 70GB of free space and my external HD has 140GB of free space. Is there a way I can divide what I want backed up?

16. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Yea you might have to look around for some program that can specify how much you want to copy. To my knowledge the ones I suggested don't work like that :s

Other than that. Copy n paste??

Sorry I can't be of more help in that area. Good luck:)
    PTP

17. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Well I back up all my important stuff via Target Disk Mode. I just dragged and dropped the files I needed.

On Friday I brought the computer to the shop and told the owner of the store of the problem with the monitor and the CD/DVD drive. I'm completely covered by AppleCare. So the only real loss here is not having my computer for 2 weeks. Oh well, it could have been worse.

18. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

The Apple Repair store replaced the Logic Board and the CD/DVD Drive. I guess this wasn't the NVIDIA problem. Final charge: $0

19. WaltCD macrumors member

It happened to me, as well, just last week: I booted up my MacBook Pro one day and no display. Using keyboard controls, I could tell it was on and running, but no display.
    I took it to the Apple store that agreed it was the graphics board and offered to fix it, at NO CHARGE to ME, even though I bought the computer three and a half YEARS ago. They told me it would be 3 to 5 days, but they called me back that afternoon (maybe four hours later) and said it was ready.

Oh, and since they can't just change out the graphics card, they change out the whole motherboard (logic board). Even though it's the same speed chips that were in before, same hard drive, all my same info, it seems like the computer is brand-new FAST!

FANtastic customer service!
    Walt D in LV

P.S. You can find your Serial Number underneath the computer, under the removable battery.