Macbook Pro Montevina Upgrade.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jalva025, Jul 8, 2008.

1. jalva025 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

This is my first post and i have a quick question to ask you. I am going to purchase a Macbook Pro soon before school begins and i was wondering if the Apple would probably upgrade the chip before the school starts without upgrading the MacBook Pro design. Just speed bump the processor when it comes out like a soft upgrade.
    Thanks guys:)

2. ManWithhat macrumors regular

The redesign is a rumor, however, the chipset will be upgraded. Just wait until the week before school and throw in your order.

3. jalva025 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea thats what am planning on doing waiting till school starts and buy one. Hopefully the chipset will be ready to launch on the MacBook Pro.

4. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I hope itll be ready by then. Idk if they will release a new MBP during the Back to School Promotion...lets hope they do.

5. Standard macrumors regular

You guys really think they will release a MBP update sooner? Did they promise GPU updates with this Montevina upgrade?

6. jalva025 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a feeling the style of the MacBook Pro won't change but they will upgrade the processor to Montevina before back to school.

7. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Intel is running behind in launching Montevina and making the parts, so Apple might not be able to refresh by the start of school. On the flip side, they could launch the product, but not ship it (at least in any real quantity) and run a special on the older product to clear it out of the channel.

8. ManWithhat macrumors regular

They didn't promise anything, but it seems people here are demanding a GPU update. The Montevina is a no-brainer upgrade, though.

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Well, I hope to hell the rumors about the keyboard being the same as the MacBook/MacBook Air are not true... though it seems like they probably are. That keyboard is so UGLY. And tacky. And it feels awful. Ugh.

10. ManWithhat macrumors regular

I disagree completely, unless you're talking about the MBA's black keys . . ugh . . why?!

11. billmister macrumors 6502

just get the 2.6gzh slap 4 gigs ram on their... What exactly is the need to montavina?... in terms of your use? Or do you want to get it to let people know you have montavina in your MBP?

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If there's a case redesign, there's a need "to Montevina". If there's a better GPU (there will be, and it will be LEAPS better), there's a need "to Montevina". If there's a higher RAM limit, there's a need "to Montevina". If bigger HDDs are standard, there's a need "to Montevina". If there's a bigger trackpad, there's a need "to Montevina".

Think before you post.

13. nyzballa12 macrumors member

14. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Doesn't someone usually find a serial number (or some type of #) before the new rev of MBPs comes out? I remember like the week before penryn came out macrumors / appleinsider found some number letting us know that the new updates were next tuesday. Does this happen every time or no?

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not wishing to start a war skil but what i think billmister meant was that alot of people seem to get caught up in the must upgrade thing for the sake of it when what they have does a perfectly adequate job

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, they do. They shouldn't upgrade for the sake of having the best, you're right.

17. billmister macrumors 6502

That is exactly what i meant. thank you for understanding.

I think you have mistaking what needs and wants are. You must go thru laptops, desktops, phones every other month or maybe even before that. I have other things i prefer to put my funds into then a new redesign when my current laptop/phone/desktop does what i need it to do extremely well.

I do think before i post, no need to get out of line when you respond to me. I'm not an immature poster on this message board and my responces and comments have meaning to them regardless if they're not near the capacity of your understandings. I wasn't trying to fire up this thread but nearly trying to get a better understanding as to the reason for the wait on montevina platform. Like I said, don't get out of line when you respond to my comments, if you find a problem with my posts you can address me via PM. Respest members on this message board.

18. Yixian macrumors 65816

A new GPU is a need for sure, and that was BEFORE it turned out every single 8600M in the world is defective. That card is too weak for a £1.3k+ laptop.

19. macbeast21 macrumors newbie

well regardless of what people have said on this forum, i AM waiting for montevina so i can have the best machine for my money. Yeah i could just get the current laptop now. But i think i would have some regret knowing that an update is coming soon(maybe). and if it doesn't come the week of july 14th, then i'll be happy to get the current model, no regrets. just trying to get the best model if i can.

20. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Who's disagreeing with you i'm not for a start, of course you want the best for your money who doesn't ??, if this this your first Mac then fair enough, what myself and others have said is we cant understand people who upgrade for upgrade sake, take me for example i have the top end 17'' hi rez penryn MBP, this is a great machine and runs all my pro apps ie dreamweaver flash etc with no probs whatsoever so until adobe ups those apps system requirements there's no point in me updating my Mac, although i'm waiting for Nehalem to get a MP but thats a different story