Macbook pro - most bang for buck with ADC discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thechidz, Nov 7, 2007.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

What macbook pro would you purchase with the ADC student discount that gives you %20 off? Obviously the 2.6 G 17" would give you the most savings, but what model would truly give you the most bang for your buck based on feature comparison to overall price after discount?

thanks for your feedback!:apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Chill on the Apple's.

Look at the Geekbench results and decide I can tell you that 2900 or more is very satisfying short of CAD programs.

3. je1ani macrumors 6502

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

As a student you may become an Apple Developer for $99 and then you receive a once in your lifetime discount that is substantial; often recovering the fee you paid to be a developer and then some.

5. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

this is great thanks. But it hasnt been updated yet to show the 2.6 gig model and I can't tell if the highest rated 2.4 gig mbp is the 15" or 17"

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Browse Mac Results around page 112 the MBP begin to appear some as high as 3400 with 4gb RAM.

Tip: The url will display the link then after the '=' a page number replace '1' with '112' to skip to the laptop numbers.

7. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

Just to clarify:

So when I'm going to get my 15" MBP with 256mb graphics, it's cheaper to get an ADC student membership and buy a computer with this discount, versus just using your student discount?

Also, I'm interested in software development so it's not like I would join just for the heck of it, but it's certainly an incentive if my future Mac would be cheaper.

And the $99, is that a one-time fee, or do you pay an ADC fee every year?

8. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

your membership lasts for 1 year and yes it is a better deal. you also get a free copy of leopard which is worth more than the price of admission right there. Im going to load leopard onto my old macbook and buy a new MBP soon:D

9. archi penko macrumors member

archi penko

depends on ur uni. the student discount at tufts is generall 5% (negating the MA tax). the Macbook Pro price starts $1799. The macbook was $999, $1199, $1399 on each tier. Harvard has better deals on their macbooks (10% or $150-$200 ish off; it was $1169 compared to tufts' $1199, and about $20 less for RAM too).

refurbished is cheaper in every respect. and the BEST way to SAVE - is ur extras (RAM, etc (altho not HD upgrade)) is to buy ram via OWC.

I did a whole cost comparison b/t the 2 unis and refurb with all diff options. Did anyone else at uni get a better deal than this?

10. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

My last computer was a refurb, and I had no problem with it so yeah, if anyone wants to save it's definitely a great deal. Anyways, I sold that MBP to my brother/parents who gave it him this fall and decided to get myself a new one once Leopard came out. Figured I'd wait till January now that I've made it this far to see if there's something new.

On that random note: Can you get student discounts or use the ADC discount on MBPs IN physical Apple stores? I was thinking about getting one in New Hampshire with no sales tax if so (while passing through to see friend in Boston). I'm under no circumstance getting it in expensive Canada seeing that I go to the US a bunch anyway.

:rolleyes: Wonder if you can use the Harvard-discount if you go to the Harvard of the North... (yay McGill!) :p

Oh totally agree with you, getting ram from Apple = monetary suicide

To archi penko: Thanx for the tip about Leopard! I was planning on getting a copy of Leopard for my bro for X-mas, so ADC membership here I come! (Since my new MBP will have it installed anyway).

11. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I mean it is possible to get a. Better deal on refurb. I've heard of people getting 30% off MacBook but that's going to get you a older model. I say buying new for 20% off is by far the best deal

12. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

how much do they check up on you to make sure you're really a student? For example, I'm on a leave of absence so I'm not a full time student but I can still log in to get my education discount. But do they do anything else when you get your ADC discount?

13. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

You dont need to be a FULL TIME student but you do need to fax a student ID and prof of enrollment ie. tuition bill etc. So yeah they do check it...

Btw... Im at Apple store on 5th ave right now on a MBP 2.4 gig 3gb RAM running leopard with spaces... itunes, logic pro, idvd, mail, ical, safari all at the same time.... this thing is so freaking sweet, I rthink IOm going to be ordering very soonnnnn:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

14. Spritey macrumors regular

Spritey

Everyone can log into the educational store if they know the name of a school more or less. A few schools require you put in your student ID, at least in Canada but not so much in the States.

I had a friend who had to send Apple a copy of his transcript/w current registered classes or a letter from the school saying he was a full-time student. Granted, he was a full-time student, and that's what the store is for so I have no idea what happens if you're not.

If you're on a leave of absence, you're no longer a full-time student, thus not entitled to the discount. (Seeing how people abuse it, it wouldn't surprise me if it disappears altogether soon) Most people who leave school for a while work full-time instead, so theoretically they have no need for the discount.

15. archi penko macrumors member

archi penko

yes you can. altho last time i did this was like in 2004, so it seems for *some* places the rules may have changed. Boston is a student city so maybe they are more willing to accept (?). Anys, when i bought an Apple accessory (not 3rd party) alls I had to do was show my ID, and the guy made a photocopy/scan of it and that was it.

Like Spritey said, anyone can log into my unis Apple Store, and just buy. But the deal with the edu discount is 1 mac computer per year:
    "
    Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
    Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
    Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
    iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year"

Accessories not included. Also, if the steeper the discount (again, depending on the uni) the more checks in place. It really depends the relationship your uni has with Apple.

I mean our comp lab has 1/3 Apple iMacs, 2/3 Dell. Always has been. The online portion is just a jump to the uni computer lab homepage and from there they provide the link to the uni custom store; actually no login required.

No Worries! :) happy to help but I think it was thechildz with this tip. But I can provide you with this tip. Tufts is selling Leopard for $116. But Harvard is selling in for $69. Duuude, go figure. so anys, i'm clearly gonna get it from harvard.

So, at $69 is it still worth the ADC discount? @thechildz How much is 20% the computer you want?

16. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

well, I just ordered a ram upgrade for my MB and after looking at my bank account Im gonna hold off on the MBP. I am pretty sure Columbia is not offering a discount on Leopard so I am still glad I got the ADC...

But... when I DO get my new MBP (probably Jan/Feb) it will be WELL worth it. It should be a savings of over $600 smackers:eek:

anyone know if we can use ADC discount in New Hampshire? I've heard it mentioned that they dont charge sales tax!?

17. JWest macrumors 6502

So does this mean if you buy a Mac with the student ADC package you can never in your life buy another Mac with the student package? I know the more expensive packages let you buy 1 per year, but 1 in your lifetime? That's it?

18. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You can only buy 1 computer as a student developer. You can still use the regular student pricing. Yes, the higher developer packages give you 1 or 2 a year, while the ADC student is once ever.

19. JWest macrumors 6502

I find it interesting that the terms of use says that you can only use the computer for development purposes. How do they know that you're using it just for development? It seems like it's too easy to take advantage of the system.

20. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Can I use the ADC discount to get a MBP and a 30" monitor at the same time? What kind of discount are we talking (GBP £). Thanks.

21. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, you can buy both.
    http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html
    Go to the proper store for your location, and you can see prices.

22. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk