Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I have a MacBook Pro 13" (early 2011) that I'm selling. It came pre-installed with Snow Leopard but have since upgraded to Mountain Lion. Since Mountain Lion was bought through the Mac Store using my account can I re-install it from the install partition, or since it was purchased through my account do I have t fully format the drive and re-install from the install discs that came with the computer?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a MacBook Pro 13" (early 2011) that I'm selling. It came pre-installed with Snow Leopard but have since upgraded to Mountain Lion. Since Mountain Lion was bought through the Mac Store using my account can I re-install it from the install partition, or since it was purchased through my account do I have t fully format the drive and re-install from the install discs that came with the computer?
I would format and reinstall from your SL discs. Let the buyer decide if they want to upgrade to ML.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I would format and reinstall from your SL discs. Let the buyer decide if they want to upgrade to ML.

Well, I could always install ML and if the buyer prefers SL they can format and install from the discs. Would probably be faster than downloading the OS.

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Also, if you are doing a clean install, there is a much smaller possibility of software problems.
I do clean install every time I need to update/reinstall OS.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well, I could always install ML and if the buyer prefers SL they can format and install from the discs. Would probably be faster than downloading the OS.
If you install ML, it's tied to your Apple ID. If you let them buy it for themselves, it will be tied to their Apple ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.