Macbook Pro - Mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Superman041, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Superman041 macrumors regular

Does anyone have an recommendations of a mouse for the Macbook Pro Retina other than the Magic Mouse?

I've heard the latter is overpriced for what it is..

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I actually like the magic mouse and do recommend it. For a 1,300 to 2,500 laptop. Spending 70 bucks isn't that much - at least to me.

3. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting, it hasn't had great reviews. I wonder if there'll be a redesign soon.

4. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

I hate the Apple Magic Mouse.

I'm using a Logitech G700 for around 3-4 years now. Can highly recommend it.

5. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

It's the least ergonomic mouse ever. It also eats AA batteries for lunch. Despite that, I use it because there aren't many bluetooth mice out there and I refuse to plug in a usb dongle.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

On the presumption that the reason you want a mouse is because you're not in love with the trackpad, I'd guess that any recommendation for a mouse that's actually a mouse/trackpad hybrid is going to be shot down, especially when you can get a Logitech mouse for less than 25% of the price. Nothing wrong with either the Logitech or Microsoft variants, other than that they're traditional mice. Go down to the store, try out a few, and see which feels best in your hand. If you end up hating it, you won't be out much money.

In defense of Magic Mouse, I don't know about "overpriced for what it is." It's in a category of its own, and it's something that you need to get used to. I think it's more likely that the problem people have is, "If it's going to be $70, I damn well better fall in love with it at first touch." But it is something of an acquired taste, an acquired skill. Like a trackpad, it's prone to unintended acts until you get used to the idea that every movement does something.

I definitely prefer the track wheel/trackball-equivalent swipe, I love swipe-left, swipe-right to browser-back, browser-forward. Every so often I accidentally tap-to-zoom, and every so often, the unintended browser-back that ends up wiping the contents of a Reply to Thread window... not so much fun. But if I wanted to, I could disable those gestures.

My basic feeling is, OS X is only going to gain more touchscreen-like gestures, and I'd rather move one or two fingers around on a Magic Mouse than my entire hand/wrist (or make big motions of my arm across a vertical screen). It's definitely saving me steps/motion over an equivalent mouse. I'm happy I have it.

7. bmwx12 macrumors newbie

I love my Logitech M705. It's relatively small if I need to take it with me, fantastic on batteries (I haven't replaced them in 2 years), and the little USB dongle fits inside of the battery compartment when I throw it in a bag.