Macbook Pro / Music Production (HELP)

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Thinsulate, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Thinsulate macrumors newbie

Salutations people (Newbie here). Just a quick ? RE: The new unibody Macbook Pro`s. Looking to switch from PC but have no idea which Macbook Pro would best suit my production/performance needs (dont want to overkill). Here`s a list of the main programs i`ll be using > Serato Scratch Live, Ableton Suite 8, Logic Suite 8 & Reason 4 & Bias Peak LE. Which model (Spec`s) should I be loking at ? Any info would be much appreciated.

CHEERS

2. jono_3 macrumors regular

a baseline mbp would fit the bill quite nicely. even a regular aluminum macbook would be good, but you dont get a firewire port anymore so its going to limit a lot of the hardware you can use. you'll thank yourself for the extra couple inches of screen later anyway. the backlit keyboard is also nice if you do any location recording. go for it

3. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Get the base MBP, swap the HD for a 7200rpm drive and max the RAM. Cheaper than going to the next step.

4. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i agree, although doing the same upgrades with a macbook would still give you a perfectly acceptable machine.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

It all depends on how many simultaneous tracks of audio, the sample width (in bits) and the sample rate (in K samples per second) Any Mac built in the last few years will run your software but there is an upper limit to the amound of data you can push onto a small notebook disk drive.

Screen space is an issue too.