MacBook Pro (new 2010) display stuck in sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kylehunt, Apr 26, 2010.

1. kylehunt macrumors newbie

My brand new 15 inch MacBook Pro was working fine for a week. Today the display went to sleep and when I tried to wake it, it remained dark, items barely visible. I could see the display brightness meter changing, but the brightness did not. Restarting didn't help. Called Apple and they're going to replace the computer. Has this happened to anybody else?

Note: I have the hi-res anti-glare display.

2. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

I made this mistake:
    turned up brightness on keyboard thinking I was adjusting brightness on display.
    display brightness is (I think) F2 and F3 and keyboard brightness is like F5-F6 (don't have mine with me right now so I'm not sure)

Just a thought.

3. kylehunt thread starter macrumors newbie

4. fuzzysky macrumors newbie

MBP Frozen after Display put to Sleep

A very similar issue is/was happening to me. I got a brand new 15" i7 with hi-res screen. Soon after buying it and installing vmware fusion and dropbox, it started giving me problems. Whenever I put the display to sleep for long periods of time, 1h+, it would refuse to wake. The whole computer became unresponsive. I even took it to the Apple Store, and they did not know what to do with it.

I have since had it replaced and all was good for a few days. But, lo and behold... the problem is back. I put the display to sleep and it's a crap shoot as to whether the computer will actually come back on. I have done all the usual resets (PRAM, etc.) to no avail. I even uninstalled vmware fusion and no luck.

Upon closer look, it seems that the issue arises when Spotlight is trying to index my HD volume. I remember the same thing occurring with the first MBP. I guess I could disable Spotlight, but should I have to? This really bites and is totally frustrating. I wish I knew what to do.