Macbook Pro new Battery concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by y0umebednow, Sep 21, 2014.

1. y0umebednow macrumors newbie

Hey guys I have a Late 08 unibody macbook pro that im thinking of replacing the battery of.
    But after researching a lot, I have learned that the replacement battery from apple will only give me 2 - 3 hours max.
    So I was just wondering why that is the case since when I bought the macbook pro used in 2011 I would get at least a good 5 - 6 hours.
    What is the difference between the replacement battery and the original battery that makes such a big difference?
    Personally, I do not find it worth the money to spend $130 on a battery that will only give me an hour more than my 6 years old original battery.

Thank you for the input.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If you replace with a genuine Apple battery of the same capacity then I don't see why you wouldn't get the same duration as you did previously.

3. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hmmmm.. Not so sure, but __ ..

Hmmm.. My first thought is that a 2008 would not likely be a 'Uni-body' and also that any laptop of that era WAS quite likely going to get only ~3hrs of 'some sort of usage' on a charge anyway, unless simply idling away maybe.. but, I am sure that a bit of checking into this on your part with more specifics will confirm ALL that you need to know.. Good Luck!!

4. wytwolf macrumors regular

I just had a look at everymac.com and confirmed that unibody MBP's started in 2008. From their info the battery life on a new 2008 laptop was upto 5 hours. Key is the word "upto". This would involve the screen brightness turned down with Bluetooth turned off with just a word processor or Safari running. Most people have their brightness cranked up so the battery life will be less (ie closer to 4hrs.)

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.4-aluminum-15-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

5. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

And I stand corrected, I bought my first MBP in Apr-06 and cannot believe that the Unibody came out so soon.. Time Flies indeed!!

I shall also add that I would likely never choose to put a Battery into a MBP other than a legitimate Apple product.. of course, once I found out what they are priced at, I may well change my thinking..

Hope it all works out there OP, keep us posted please, I like to learn how such things go here!! :apple: ;)