MacBook Pro New Hard Drive Installed, won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thecanucksfan, Sep 12, 2011.

1. thecanucksfan macrumors newbie

Hey,
    First of all I apologize if this ends up being a repeat, after browsing around threads looking for a solution I resorted to creating an account to try and get some help, and therefore am unfamiliar with the running of the site.
    I also just got back to school and don't have a whole lot of time to get my mac running again.

So, the issue:
    Recently my macbook pro (bought last summer so mid 2010) dropped about 2-3 feet onto a tile floor. It was in class, and the screen was shut, so I picked it up and opened it, it was working fine. I had no problems with it and used it the rest of the day until the battery ran out, and left it to charge over night.
    The next morning it would not start up properly and I could only get it going in safe mode. I took it in to see a "genius" and after trying a few things he concluded my hard drive was dying, and I would need a new one.

After he returned my mac I went home to attempt to boot into safe mode and back up what files I could, and I got the flashing question mark folder on boot up. I tried what I could but figured the drive had died so I went and got a new Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM drive, and swapped it in.

Now I just tried to boot it up using the original OS dvd and I am getting the same flashing question mark folder. I tried the hold option / c / reset PRAM but still the same thing.

Should I be taking other steps to install since it is a clean new drive, or are there other problems going on?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Start in verbose mode, google that and will see more details about what is going on. I am in a quick break, sorry for the short answer.

3. thecanucksfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I gave that a try and unfortunately it still just hangs on a blank white screen for a while and then I get the question mark folder flashing again.

4. thecanucksfan thread starter macrumors newbie

This may have no significance, but I was running OS X Lion before the failure, and the disk that came with my mac is a Snow Leopard install.

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

No intention to offend you, but did you try to boot with the disc by holding the C key?
    If that didn't work, try holding down the option key while booting and see what happens

If no success check the RAM is not loose, remove and reinstall them, use anti-static protection!!!
    Check here for details on how to get there: www.ifixit.com

Repeat previous attempts after confirming the RAM is fine.

Do you have another Mac or a Friend with one, and a Firewire cable?
    If so, boot it holding the T key, this is Target Disk Mode, it will allow you to connect your Mac to the other Mac via FireWire, in the other Mac you will see the new HDD as an external HDD, if this is successful then try to perform the install from your Friends Mac?

You can also try to remove the RAM, and use only one module.

If nothing works, then back to the Genius Bar.
    It might be the logic board, if they tell you so, ask for Depot Repair ~$300 they will fix whatever is wrong.

6. thecanucksfan thread starter macrumors newbie

No offense taken.
    Thanks again for the great response.
    I did try with the disk holding both C and the option key.
    I will try checking the RAM since the "genius" did actually take them out at one point so they may have not been put back in right.
    Otherwise I have planned to visit Apple Store tomorrow.
    The logic board was a possibility I was hoping wouldn't be the answer.
    Either way, thanks again, I will post again if anything new arises.

7. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

It's doubtful that a 2' drop broke anything off the motherboard. Check to see if the RAM's seated and also the connectors for the Optical and Hard Drive.

You may have killed the Optical Drive as well when you dropped it, ask a Genius at the Apple Store if you can borrow a MacBook Air SuperDrive to install your OS.

8. thecanucksfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Got my OS installed at the Genius bar and finished updating back to Lion this afternoon, everything is running perfectly. He just used an external drive to install snow leopard.
    I got a casing for my old drive, but no luck recovering any files.

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Great news. I am glad they were able to get it working.

Now, more than ever, is a good time to get another hard drive for back up purposes.
    I highly suggest you get 2: one for Time Machine and another for a Bootable clone.

10. confusedhelpme macrumors newbie

I have a new blank hard drive. wd scorpio blue. I turn it on and get the blank white screen with a grey question mark folder. should I go get it repaired? how much will it cost me? can I fix it from home? Please help!!

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Use Disk Utility to format the drive and create a partition that works with the Mac, maybe the HDD you bought was formatted for Windows?