Macbook Pro Newb! and temperature software ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jedmonds, Aug 8, 2008.

1. jedmonds macrumors newbie

Just switched from a PC to a Macbook pro, and I LOVE IT!!! I ended up getting a build to order 2.4GHz with 200GB 7200rpm hard drive, glossy 15.4" screen. My friends dad works for apple, so I was able to get 25% off. :D The switch wasn't as scary as I thought. I got xp running with bootcamp, and vmware for any windows apps that I have to use. I do have a question though. I keep reading about people measuring the temp of their notebooks, and I do feel the macbook pro does run a bit hot. what temperature programs are you guys using to find out how hot things are getting inside the laptop?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

hear hear, one more vote for iStat Pro.

Although, SMCFancontrol can let you know temps too, and control your fanspeed.

4. wakeborder556 macrumors regular

5. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Well, I generally run anywhere between 130-160, depending on the workload. I like SMC Fancontrol because when I do some heavy work (heavy Adobe product usage, for example) I can use one of my multiple profiles to ramp the fans up to 6000RPM and cool it back down quick when it gets near 170. Wouldnt want to run it that way all the time, but its nice to be able to have some control.

6. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

iStatPro is a widget, and nice for knowing about what resources your system is using.

smcFanControl if you want to control your fan speed and also know your CPU temps on the menu bar. For me, increasing fan speed in increments of 2000rpm leads to temperature decreases of 5C-10C. Usually about 7C lower.

7. jedmonds thread starter macrumors newbie