MacBook Pro Newbie - is gimp safe?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lululamb, Sep 20, 2015.

1. lululamb macrumors newbie

lululamb

Although i've had iPhones/ipads/ipods for a few years, i've got a brand new two week old MacBook Pro with retina display.

I don't want to have to shell out for photoshop but want something that does similar functions. Online i came across gimp as being a very good free alternative but wonder if it is safe. I've always been a PC girl with computers having anti-virus etc so i feeling a little lost when it comes to Mac.

Any assistance or in fact free alternatives to gimp would be greatly appreciated.

2. osnola ibax macrumors member

osnola ibax

have used gimp extensively on mac, absolutely no problems with security, and files (.xcf) are easily transferrable to windows machines for further work

3. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Gimp is a really well known piece of software, it's definitely safe and even pretty capable. The thing is - you HAVE to shell out for Photoshop if Photoshop is what you want. There are alternatives, some very capable and seriously aiming to dethrone Photoshop (Affinity Photo - $49) some a bit less capable but very well thought out (Pixelmator - $29), but none of them is free. GIMP is free and open-source and using it feels like driving a (surprisingly good) car made of fifteen other cars.

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

It might help us with making recommendations if you could give us some idea of what tasks you want to perform with graphics software.