Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lululamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
United Kingdom
Although i've had iPhones/ipads/ipods for a few years, i've got a brand new two week old MacBook Pro with retina display.

I don't want to have to shell out for photoshop but want something that does similar functions. Online i came across gimp as being a very good free alternative but wonder if it is safe. I've always been a PC girl with computers having anti-virus etc so i feeling a little lost when it comes to Mac.

Any assistance or in fact free alternatives to gimp would be greatly appreciated.

osnola ibax

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2014
have used gimp extensively on mac, absolutely no problems with security, and files (.xcf) are easily transferrable to windows machines for further work

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Gimp is a really well known piece of software, it's definitely safe and even pretty capable. The thing is - you HAVE to shell out for Photoshop if Photoshop is what you want. There are alternatives, some very capable and seriously aiming to dethrone Photoshop (Affinity Photo - $49) some a bit less capable but very well thought out (Pixelmator - $29), but none of them is free. GIMP is free and open-source and using it feels like driving a (surprisingly good) car made of fifteen other cars.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Although i've had iPhones/ipads/ipods for a few years, i've got a brand new two week old MacBook Pro with retina display.
I don't want to have to shell out for photoshop but want something that does similar functions. Online i came across gimp as being a very good free alternative but wonder if it is safe. I've always been a PC girl with computers having anti-virus etc so i feeling a little lost when it comes to Mac.
Any assistance or in fact free alternatives to gimp would be greatly appreciated.
It might help us with making recommendations if you could give us some idea of what tasks you want to perform with graphics software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.