MacBook Pro Newbie needing networked printing help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacDaddyOh, Jul 7, 2009.

1. MacDaddyOh macrumors newbie

MacDaddyOh

Just got my MBP a couple of weeks ago and I still can't contain myself out of excitement. The more I explore it and the more I hear comments from the Mac "family", the more I pat myself for finally doing the switch!!! This machine is just INCREDIBLE! Love it, love it, love it!:D

However, I have difficulty printing wirelessly to my HP 1020 connected via USB to a Dell desktop (with XP). I believe I got (most) everything hooked up because the print job from my Mac goes to the printer's queue (in the desktop) but never comes out of the printer. I know the printer works because my Sony Vaio prints wirelessly to it without any problem. I followed the steps I can find available online (including the one here on MR) and it seems like I'm just missing one tiny bit of step!

And let's just keep this info to ourselves, guys, but I called Apple support (twice) about this and the last guy I talked to told me this is not possible.:eek: He suggested for me to manually connect the printer to my Mac each time I need to print - not a very "intuitive" solution coming from Apple, really! I use Dropbox and that's niftier than his advice, but I really want to be able to print like my Vaio...

Help!

2. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

if you are on a wireless network, it would be much easier just to plug the printer into your wireless router I would have thought.

3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Unfortunately some printers, just don't work wirelessly with macs. From what you are saying, i am assuming you have already installed the up to date HP printer driver for mac OS. If you followed all the available online, and the MR suggestions, then i am afraid the only way to print is to connect your mac directly to the printer via USB.

This is a link to my thread, where i connected my lexmark printer to a wirelss router, and i had the same situation as yo. I can see the job in the printer queue, but then it fails.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=712938

I hope somebody here can solve your problem.

4. MacDaddyOh thread starter macrumors newbie

MacDaddyOh

Yes, that was an option the Apple support asked me to do, but the router I'm using does not have ethernet port. Bummer...

Thanks, though!

5. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I may be way off, but with my printer, I can connect it into the router using the USB, something you could try? If not, it looks like a direct connection might be your only hope. Shame, Apple are giving you printers with Macs in the UK.

6. MacDaddyOh thread starter macrumors newbie

MacDaddyOh

Sounds like a good idea, if only there's such a thing as ethernet to USB adapter... Is there?

Before I hassle myself with unplugging and re-plugging cables just to print, I'd use Dropbox (www.getdropbox.com) first. It's a free and seamless software that enables me to share documents between computers...