Macbook Pro No Longer Has Option To Change Graphic Card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macjunkie33, Dec 29, 2009.

1. macjunkie33 macrumors member

I have a 2.53 Intel 2 Unibody Macbook PRO. I tried to switch my graphic card tonight the usual way System Preferences - Energy Saver, but there is no option to change graphics card! I am running 10.6.2 and have been updating all of the software updates. This is really annoying. Did this setting move, or is something going on with my machine. Please help. I already tried restarting :confused::confused::confused:

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

There appears to be a fairly lengthy topic about this on Apple's discussion boards. It's probably something that can be fixed by reinstalling using the discs that came with your computer (or a Mac OS X disc, like Snow Leopard). Either way though, it sounds like a software problem based on everything I've read. I'd stop by your local Apple Store or give Apple a call (they'll be a lot more helpful than this place, truthfully).

In the U.S.: 1-800-APL-CARE (or) 1-800-275-2273

3. macjunkie33 thread starter macrumors member

Ouch

Thanks for the speedy response. MAN this is a hell of an annoying problem. Will speak with apple and report back on what they say. I really don't want to reinstall :mad:

My warranty is about to be up and my machine has been acting up lately, starting to lean towards the apple care as much as I hate to spend even more money on this computer.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

AppleCare is worth it. Trust me. Even though your Mac is awesome, and shouldn't have many problems, there's always the "just in case" situations — and it sucks if you don't have it when you need it. In a worst case scenario, the logic board could die... that's $1200+ in repairs! Always better to be safe than sorry, even if nothing happens.

Just in case.

5. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Not to pick on you in particular, but why do Apple enthusiasts call it the logic board?

They have always been known as "motherboards."

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

To quote Wikipedia:

7. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Ok, so it is correct to either say "logic board" or "motherboard." Interesting fact, thanks! :)

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

+1 vote for AppleCare

9. macjunkie33 thread starter macrumors member

Looks like Nividia GT video card Crapped on me

Now the Nividia GT card doesn't even register on my system which looks like the card went out. Now only the 9400M card shows up in system profile which is a good indication the GT bit the dust. This is a relief because I still am under warranty so I will be sending my mac in for a repair :( (first time in over 6 years of owning macs).

10. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Another vote here for AppleCare...very much worth it, especially for laptops. It's saved me a number of times.

11. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

Why does the appliance industry call it control board? Every industry has their own tech speak.

12. flanamac macrumors 6502

Trust me, if my logic board dies, I am buying a new computer. A repair in excess of $500 is leaning more on the side of buying new.

13. macjunkie33 thread starter macrumors member

So im gonna get the 2 year coverage, 350 bucks sounds like its going to be worth the money. I didn't buy it on my G4 and its still going strong. Sounds like Apple is losing its grip on quality control these days. Sad to see, but times have changed.

14. macjunkie33 thread starter macrumors member

Why not just purchase the 350 dollar insurance instead of buy a new machine every time something goes wrong?

15. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

side note, those of you who are in college, or high school, should look to see if your educational facility has a deal with apple to provide a 10% educational discount.

it provides a significant savings on applecare.

16. codo macrumors 6502

Huge savings - MBP UK Apple Care £273, MBP UK Edu Apple Care £50.

Well worth a check with your University, I agree with cderalow.

17. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

In the USA, it's $350 -> $240. A $110 savings.

18. macjunkie33 thread starter macrumors member

19. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Do you have any relations with a college or school?

I think all you need is a *.edu e-mail address. I might be wrong.

20. macjunkie33 thread starter macrumors member

I could cheat the system if I wanted but really its not a big deal, I am going in to get my computer shipped out by Apple tomorrow. Then I will just buy the Applecare while I'm there to protect my investment, which seems like a no brainer especially with the trouble I've already experienced.

It's certainly disappointing but it looks like a lot of late 2008 unibody models are having the same problem I am. Guess thats what you get for buying first rev A hardware!!

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!

21. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Oh, don't get me wrong. I didn't say to cheat the system. What I mean is: if you have a .edu e-mail address and are affiliated with a university (still supporting them or working a second job with them or anything), then it should be ok.

22. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

I've had £600 of repairs done on appleCare, well worth it, especially as I got it for 1/3 price when I bought the mbp, which was nice.

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You can legitimately buy Applecare off Ebay for nearly half the price Apple charges. Just make sure that you buy a sealed boxed copy, don't buy from sellers that want to email the codes.

24. xcrunner macrumors regular

Apple's laptops no longer use logic boards...they're standard motherboards. It's incorrect to call them something else.