Macbook Pro no longer mounts external drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cheezedaze, Mar 9, 2012.

1. cheezedaze macrumors newbie

Hey guys and gals -

I've been looking around these forums and google for days now, and am at a bit of a dead end, so I'm reaching out to the community to assist me in piecing this together.

I have a few month old MB Pro running Lion.

Problem: I have a WD My Passport 1TB with all my music, movies, TV shows, etc... anyone who knows the pain of backing up their extensive DVD libraries knows my struggle. I do not have a back up (I know, I know - I've learned the hard way and I shall repent and sin no more). The drive no longer mounts. When I plug it in, I get the dialog "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer - Initialize... Ignore Eject"

When I run disk utility and try to do a repair, it says:
    Invalid BS_jmpBoot in block: 000000
    Volume Repair Complete
    Updating boot support partitions as required
    Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk. ... etc

It's a FAT32 Hard Drive and Disk Warrior laughed at me and spit in my face about it.

Windows won't mount it.

I used Data Rescue 3 - Quick scan: Nada - Deeps Scan - all the files! The problem is, I used it before and if I recover the files it doesn't keep any of the names. With tens of thousands of files, this doesn't thrill me. It's a last resort.

I then turned to Drive Genius 3. Since the drive won't mount, I'm limited on options. I cleaned up the blocks, but it didn't help. The only other logical option I could try would be to clone it over to another external drive, just in case it was a hardware issue. I didn't have much hope, and the cloned drive comes up with the same issue.

I also started TestDisk, but it was a bit confusing to me and seemed to want to take several days to scan, so I didn't know if I was wasting my time with that as well.

So here I am, at your mercy. Is it the invalid BS_jmpBoot? If so, how do I fix? Google results return little for my situation. Thanks in advance for any direction you can offer. Comfort welcome, too.

2. cheezedaze thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed!!!

Thanks for everyone's help here ;)

For posterity sake, and all those who stumble here from Google...

TestDisk was the way to go. I didn't need a ton of patience either. Rather than "Analyse", because I only had one partition, I went to "Advanced Filesystem Utils" and selected "FAT: Boot and Fat Repair"

I only had one partition, so that was easy to select which one, then I chose "Boot" - it told me it was bad bad. This I knew. Then I chose "Rebuild BS"

After a few minutes, it came back with a bunch of stuff, punctuated with the line "extrapolated boot sector and current boot sector are different"

I then chose "Write" - it did it's thing. I Quit and got out of it.... VIOLA!!! Back to normal with all my files and folders in tact.

Even though I figured it out shortly after posting, it's good to be a part of your forum now, and not just an observer. I'm grateful for this resource.

Now time to back up my HDD.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

so sorry you never got an answer in that crazy 45 minutes you waited