Macbook Pro no longer starts up after power failure during drive backup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bvon, Jul 11, 2013.

1. bvon macrumors newbie

I was backing a Macbook Pro 2009 Unibody to a external SSD when the battery ran out of power and the machine shut off. Now the whole machine won't startup. Any ideas on what to do now? Someone looked inside and said there was corrosion on the logic board and that's why it won't boot up but it was working fine before this happened. What gives?

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Obvious question... why are you doing a backup on battery power?

3. Buckaye macrumors member

yeah - those two things don't sound related.... corrosion on the logic board isn't good and certainly could cause the computer not to start up... but it wouldn't be caused by a backup failing because the power ran out.

have you tried hitting apple R right after the chime on power up? You might be able to get to the disk utility and or restore from a backup.

If you literally cannot power up at all now... you need to take it in for service.

4. bvon thread starter macrumors newbie

Power button connection

I took the computer to the Apple Store and the problem is the connection of the power button to the computer so they ordered a new chasis. And yes I've learned my lesson not to do backups on battery power. Thank you for your replies.