Macbook Pro - No power for no reason

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleAtLast, May 22, 2013.

1. AppleAtLast, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013

AppleAtLast macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

First time posting although I've been reading for a while. Can't find any answers online to my problem and trust me, I've looked.

Just bought a second hand Macbook Pro (MD101LL/A 13" 2.5 Mid-2012) and it will not turn on. I plug in the charger and the LED does not turn green. Nothing. When I bought it the screen was cracked and the previous owner said it was dropped. He said it was working fine before he sent it out for repair with a local shop but when it came back it wouldn't charge (I can confirm it had power before I commit to buying it). Apparently the battery ran out and the Macbook wouldn't turn back on. To be fair, I knew what I was getting in to.

I've inspected the logic board (and I'm pretty handy although I am no licensed mac technician) and I can not see any moisture damage, defects, burns or missing parts - pictures below. I've taken it to 2 different local PC shops (no mac technicians) and they can't even diagnose the problem. One said it must be the magsafe DC jack and I had to replace it. Tried that, nope. Also plugged the magsafe adapter into another macbook and the green LED responded.

I'm running out of options. One shop owner said he knows a shop in Toronto who can fix any logic board issue and he will show me the quote from them before I agree to it. He is a trustworthy guy but I'm just so exhausted at this point that I don't know what to do.

Any ideas?

(Pics of logic board - front)

Attached Files:

2. AppleAtLast thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to look and ANY insight that might be shared.

(pics of logic board - back)

Attached Files:

3. AppleAtLast thread starter macrumors newbie

eBay Logic Board repairs...

Hey guys,

Has anyone tried one of these logic board repair services offered on eBay?

I have no power at all from my mid-2012 13" 2.5Ghz i5 and I am thinking of trying this out. No visible defects on my board but I am getting no LED when plugged in and it will not boot. It would power up but would not charge and when the battery died it would not turn back on.

Obligatory eBay link

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If you're fine with somebody fixing your system in what appears to be their basement or garage, with only an anti-static wrist strap, and no anti-static mat to go along with it (and lord knows what other contaminants could be nearby that you can't see in that picture), then go for it.

If they were doing it for free, I'd be ok with it. Since they're charging for the service, and charging quite a bit IMHO, considering how crappy their work area looks, I wouldn't bother. I'd check with Apple, as you may be able to get them to repair it for a flat fee for only one or two hundred more than what that hobbyist is charging.