Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfox43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
A few days ago, the screen on my macbook pro went out. It was working fine, and I put it in sleep mode and came back to it a few hours later and the screen stayed blank. I restarted it, took out the battery, and every time I turned it on the macbook sounded like it was working fine but the screen stayed blank.

I came upon this article (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377) and thought maybe it applied to my macbook. I bought my macbook pro in the summer of 08' and checked if i had the NVIDIA graphics processor, which it did.

I took my laptop, along with a printed copy of the link above, to a Apple store and the genius didn't look at the paper and ran a test and said my logicboard needed replacing.

Is there a way I can test to see if the problem is in fact the graphics processor and the genius was simply ********tin me?

Thanks!

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
sounds like you just have a mac pro now :p

my guess is he was... take it back again.

burtjr

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
I had a Macbook Pro I bought in Feb 08. I had the same issue as you and was diagnosed the same. They replaced my logic board for free and that fixed my issue. The Apple tech is more than likely correct. They should replace your board for free if yours is one of the defected ones. Take it back to apple and see.

azxr

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2011
Same symptoms with my early 2008. They told me it wasn't the Nvidia problem even though I expected it was. They offered to repair it for the flat $300 fee. When it came back the manager did not charge me for the logic board replacement.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I took my laptop, along with a printed copy of the link above, to a Apple store and the genius didn't look at the paper and ran a test and said my logicboard needed replacing.

Is there a way I can test to see if the problem is in fact the graphics processor and the genius was simply ********tin me?

The graphics chipset is on the logic board. You need to replace the logic board to fix the graphics issue.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
The graphics chipset is on the logic board. You need to replace the logic board to fix the graphics issue.
This.

The computer has to fail a specific nVidia test to fall under the extended warranty, if it doesn't you're screwed.

If it does fail the test, you will get a brand new logicboard installed for free.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
This.

The computer has to fail a specific nVidia test to fall under the extended warranty, if it doesn't you're screwed.

If it does fail the test, you will get a brand new logicboard installed for free.

Correct.. happened to me w/ my 2007 2.4GHz.. twice.. last one was 3 1/2 years old, the 1st Replacement was The Same logic board apparently so they 'fixed it' again, for free!!

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
...the genius didn't look at the paper and ran a test and said my logicboard needed replacing.

There's no way to replace the graphics chip without replacing the logic board. It is soldered on. The store genius was right in suggesting logic board replacement. Now the question remains if they're willing to replace it for free.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Does it have the GeForce 8600M graphics card? These were manufactured in spring/summer 2007. The issue is covered for 4 years, so if you bought it new, you should be covered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.