Macbook pro non retina can,t boot Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kriszty, Jun 23, 2012.

1. kriszty macrumors newbie

Hi,

I,m just new with OSX, i bought a new 2.3ghz Macbook pro ( usb 3.0 ) i also bought a new SSD drive and from the Apple store a new OSX Lion v10.7 USB drive. The problem is if i boot my Macbook and put the USB stick inside, it won,t boot ( stop sign ! ), even with a DVD disc it won,t boot !!:mad:

What i,m doing wrong ???

HELP ...

Kriszty,
    The Netherlands

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac came with Lion installed. Why are you trying to boot from the USB drive? Are you having a problem booting without it?

3. kriszty thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, it came with Lion already installed ( 500gb hd ) but i replaced the Harddisk with a new SSD Samsung drive, so i have to install Lion again. Therefore i bought for 59 euro a USB Stick with Lion. But whatever i try, it won,t boot ( stop sign ):mad:

I found out now if i push the recovery buttons, it has a possibility to recover from internet ? ( already for 30 min. now, but i don,t see any progress )
    why is it not possible to boot with USB or Disc ?

cause i can put my old 500gb harddisk back, but i want to use my new SSD

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should be able to use Internet Recovery. Another approach would have been to clone your HDD to the new SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner. Then you could simply swap the drives and boot up.

5. kriszty thread starter macrumors newbie

this works,, but when i get the install options, it does not see the samsung SSD driver ??, do i need something else to do ? before installing

thanks again,

Kriszty

6. Amorino macrumors newbie

When you power up your lap, just press Alt key, this will bring up the USB stick.

7. kriszty thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, it works , i also had to use the disk utility to init the drive.

greets from a happy new dutch Mac owner

Kriszty:)

8. Amorino macrumors newbie

9. angelomango macrumors newbie

angelomango

Hey guys,

It seems that being able to boot from a USB stick (which I made as an install USB for Lion 10.7.4) is now not possible on these new MBPs (not sure how valid a claim that is). I just bought a mid-2012 non-Retina MBP and I had the same problem as the OP. I just ended up using Internet Recovery to install Lion on my newly installed SSD. I hoped to be able to use my USB drive because it installs faster. I booted fine from the USB drive with my brother's Macbook, which is kind of why I'm scratching my head. Anyone have any insights?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Apple may have released a different version of 10.7.4 for your machine than the one you got from your previous machine on the App Store. I know that is the case for the new retina MBP and it may also be the problem with yours.

You can use this admittedly tedious process to snag the new version for yourself and make a USB key installer.

11. angelomango macrumors newbie

angelomango

Gotcha, thanks for the quick reply! The steps don't seem too bad so I'll try it out. :) I just like having a backup "recovery" USB just in case I'll ever need it.

12. ihacker007 macrumors newbie

Yeah I think apple has a new lion version for new MBP's because I have the same problem with my new 13" MacBook Pro 2.9GHz i7, I have my Samsung 830 SSD but I can't boot my Lion USB installer or DVD (Lion 10.7.4) my Mac came with Lion 10.7.3 preinstalled but a new a fresh install on my SSD so none of the two options worked for me :( I ended up doing the Internet recovery and this is annoying I hope Apple create a new and faster recovery option because this sucks.

13. ihacker007 macrumors newbie

Also one more thing I just wait for 3 hour ls for the Internet recovery and this ended up installing the same Lion version that came with the MacBook pro originally 10.7.3 so I think there's is no 10.7.4 version compatible yet for the new models because software update don't show any OS update to 10.7.4 just things like MacBook pro update for USB 3.0 (1.XX GB) and the new airport utility and iTunes and that's it, so I'm confused why this happen also iLife won't let me update to new version without Lion 10.7.4 installed

14. angelomango macrumors newbie

angelomango

This solution was perfect! It was exactly I was looking for! Thanks so much for your help and guidance, Weaselboy! :)

Hmm I haven't checked that yet but it seems like 10.7.4 was installed when I used Internet Recovery. If you haven't checked out Weaselboy's link, please do (that is, if you want to make a bootable Lion USB or DVD for the future). Be aware that it does use Internet Recovery to download Lion before you get the InstallESD.dmg file, so it does take a bit of time.