MacBook Pro...Noob alert

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ziphur, Nov 14, 2007.

1. ziphur macrumors member

ziphur

Hi all,

I've finally taken the plunge and bought myself a MacBook Pro - despite friends telling me that Macs were 'hard work' and really difficult to use; what? Within a few minutes I was installing the discs and checking out Safari,mail, garage band, widgets with nil experience of operating a Mac. What can I say other than i'm extremely happy with it and I love it :D

Okay, being a noob I have two questions which my make you wince at my total lack of knowledge but here goes..Desktop: How do I remove the Macintosh HD icon? And lastly I was saving a document and a message was displayed that read (words-to-the-effect-of) you cannot save this document and something about disc space or start up disc..eh?:eek:

Anyway, great forum and look forward to hearing from you.

Zip.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Glad you're enjoying your MBP! It's the best computer you'll ever own.

Click anywhere on your desktop to bring 'Finder' into focus. Click Finder in the menu bar at the top, choose 'Preferences', and under the 'General' tab, you can choose what is displayed on the desktop.

You'll find that Macintosh HD icon mighty useful though, OS X has 'spring loaded folders', which means you can pick up a file, hold it over a folder or drive, and the drive will 'spring' open so you can place the file inside. Hitting space allows you to navigate even quicker without having to 'wait' over folders or drives. The Macintosh HD icon is how you usually do this.

3. ziphur thread starter macrumors member

ziphur

cheers killyp- think i'll leave the icon where it is then?:cool:

I have to say that I can't sop playing on it, it's amazing! When I think of the nightmares I had trying to hook my PC up to a wireless hub, this baby was on the interenet in next to no time- completetly hassle free.. I'll never go back to a PC :)

4. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

*licks pencil and ticks another box*

congrats man on your MBP, it really is an awesome piece of kit

hope you hang around these forums so you can pick up some tricks which will magnify your mac experience:)

:apple:good luck and enjoy your mac:apple: