Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikeddddd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Dear All,

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro. Quite a few months back the password stopped working. I can't boot it up in Recovery Mode or Single User Mode. When asked to reset the password using my Apple ID, there is an 'error connecting to the Apple store,' even when I have internet connection. From the Reset Password screen I click on the Apple icon - to Startup Disk - and then find my hard drive is encrypted. I have a bootable version of El Capitan - but when I boot up the machine whilst holding the option key it asks me to reset my password again. The same happens when I attempt Internet Recovery.

I have asked a friend to look at it and he thinks that the hard drive may be corrupted?

Thanks

Mike

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What's the history on your MBPro? Are you the only owner, or did you buy it used?

try booting to your USB installer (El Capitan should be OK for this)
If you have to enter a password before that will boot - is that password box just a simple box, with a padlock on the left end? (No text, just the password box with a padlock?)
If that is what you see, you have a firmware password set.
You have to turn that firmware password off - which also means that you need to know what that password is.
If you don't remember the password, you are stuck. You have to take your MBPro to an Apple store, or authorized service shop. They will require proof of ownership. They have to run a service utility that geneerates a code. The shop has to call their Apple service support, who will provide a code in response to the generated code. That code will reset your firmware. A-a-a-nd that's the only legitimate method to reset a forgotten firmware/EFI password.

Mikeddddd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm the only person who has had the MacBook. It was getting really slow, and then the dog knocked a cup of tea over it so I had to get a new keyboard. Then this happened.

To boot from the USB installer I have to boot up whilst holding the option key - is that right? When I boot up it just goes back to my usual log-in. I know what you mean about the firmware password, the screen with the padlock, but that doesn't even come up. It's so bloody frustrating. I reckon I've read somewhere how to 'encrypt' the hard drive and thought it a great idea at the time.....

I've just updated RAM on my iMac (2012), so I'm feeling a bit lucky. Would I be able to buy a new hard drive/SSD? Do you think that's the problem? I have everything backed up on Time Machine - and then just sort it that way?

Thanks again,

Mike

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Maybe your "new" keyboard has a dead or sticking key... maybe the password doesn't work because the keyboard doesn't type correctly, skipping or adding characters.
Plug in a USB keyboard, and try to login with that.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Maybe your "new" keyboard has a dead or sticking key... maybe the password doesn't work because the keyboard doesn't type correctly, skipping or adding characters.
Plug in a USB keyboard, and try to login with that.

This is exactly what i was thinking

Mikeddddd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
I thought the same - so plugged in a USB keyboard but it didn't work. Just pulled out the same keyboard and did the same - tried booting up in single user mode, recovery mode and also a PRAM reset - but nothing. Sorry!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Might be time for a new MacBook.
If yours is a non-retina (unibody), you may be able to take the drive out, put it into an enclosure, and access it from the new Mac.
Of course, if the drive is encrypted, that's a no-go.
This is why I NEVER encrypt drives (with only one exception, a backup I keep in my car)

Mikeddddd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Might be time for a new MacBook.
If yours is a non-retina (unibody), you may be able to take the drive out, put it into an enclosure, and access it from the new Mac.
Of course, if the drive is encrypted, that's a no-go.
This is why I NEVER encrypt drives (with only one exception, a backup I keep in my car)

Yeah - I must have thought it was a good idea at the time - but my iMac isn't encrypted (I don't think....). I have everything on Time Machine from my old MacBook - could I just buy a new hard drive and use the MacBook that way?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"could I just buy a new hard drive and use the MacBook that way?"

If the encryption is "on the drive", this might work.
Get an SSD instead of a platter based drive.

But... if it has a firmware password set... NO GO.
If you don't enter the firmware password, it will go no further. Your only option is to have it reset.

Apple can do this, but they will REQUIRE that you produce the original sales receipt to prove your ownership. If you can't, they won't help you.

The fact that you can plug in an EXTERNAL drive with El Cap, but you get asked for a password during the initial boot process, suggests to me that a firmware password may be set on your MBP.

See the paragraph above about re-setting it.

If you can't remember the firmware password and can't get Apple to reset it, might as well just put the MBP into the back of the closet and forget about it.

There are some 3rd party (non-Apple) shops that might help.
May or may not be worth the trouble.

Mikeddddd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
"could I just buy a new hard drive and use the MacBook that way?"

If the encryption is "on the drive", this might work.
Get an SSD instead of a platter based drive.

But... if it has a firmware password set... NO GO.
If you don't enter the firmware password, it will go no further. Your only option is to have it reset.

Apple can do this, but they will REQUIRE that you produce the original sales receipt to prove your ownership. If you can't, they won't help you.

The fact that you can plug in an EXTERNAL drive with El Cap, but you get asked for a password during the initial boot process, suggests to me that a firmware password may be set on your MBP.

See the paragraph above about re-setting it.

If you can't remember the firmware password and can't get Apple to reset it, might as well just put the MBP into the back of the closet and forget about it.

There are some 3rd party (non-Apple) shops that might help.
May or may not be worth the trouble.

What a pain! My wife bought me the MacBook back in 2012 - so I'm not sure if we have a receipt - the machine is locked with my name as the user - but not sure if that'll prove anything. Thanks for your help - I may pass it onto a 3rd party to have another look - really tempted just to upgrade to an SSD and see what happens.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.