Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffreywp66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2017
Ok. Here we go ...
  1. I was working and Xcel kept closing.
  2. So, I did a hard restart. Nothing. No response.
  3. Then i did that again while holding down Command + R.
  4. When I was taken to Disk Utility, I tried to reinstall my OS ONLY, it indicated both disks are locked. (2 partitioned drives)
  5. I read online about turning on Journaling but that option is greyed out.
  6. Other things I read sounded really complicated and out of my depth.
  7. I DO NOT want to erase the disk if possible. (FYI, this was my niece's laptop before she died. She partitioned it which I do not know what to do with.)
Would appreciate any insights someone may have. I called a repair place after calling Apple, but they were closed. I had to leave a message. This was after speaking to an Apple Care rep who gently scolded me for having Lion on my machine and not one of the recent updates. He tried to help but wasn't sure what to do with my older, early-2011 machine running Lion 10.7.5. He got stumped with both disks being locked. Then gave me the number for a repair place.

I do not have Time Machine enabled. I have a terrabyte drive that I copied some folders and photos too but that was 2-3 months ago at least. So, I'm trying to resolve this without erasing my drive if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.