Macbook Pro not booting nor installing osx

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by selectah_eric, Aug 13, 2015.

1. selectah_eric macrumors newbie

So recently i got my self a Macbook Pro 17"(A1297 Model) from a friend which had a EFI Password lock,so i got rid of it via someone over the internet. After that i try using my next macbook hard drive with a pre install osx to see if the mac will book it up. During the boot up the mac(17") will reach a certain point then the apple sign and the loading bar disappears and the computer shuts down.This also happens during on my preparation for a clean installation.I have also did a SMC And PRAM reset and no luck still.

2. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

3. shoehornhands macrumors regular

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying you swapped the hard drive out of your old MacBook and into the 17" MacBook Pro?

Apple stopped selling the 17" MacBook Pro quite awhile ago. Depending on how old the 17" MacBook Pro is, it might not be supported by the latest versions of OS X.

I would first find the latest version of OS X that offers support for the MacBook Pro model you have. If it is supported by Yosemite, download a fresh copy of Yosemite from the App Store, create a Yosemite Install USB from the downloaded installer (there are a million guides online for this) and try installing a fresh copy of the OS. If Yosemite doesn't support it, try to get your hands on the latest OS X version that does and create a USB installer from that.

Also, the older MacBook Pro models usually came with installation media (to reinstall the OS and set the computer back to the factory state). You could try using those as well.

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Well the A1297 can't be any older than 2009 since that was the first unibody 17" MBP and went till 2011. So it'll run Yosemite no problem.

Shouldn't be difficult to make a USB installer for Yosemite with DiskMaker X, format the drive and install away assuming the hardware is good. It should at least boot up to the installer drive via the Option key boot menu.

Also, the hard drive you put in it from your other MacBook, what OS is it running? It should work if it's at least on 10.7.2 and up to account for it possibly being a 2011 model. If it's an '09 it'll go back to 10.5.6 or so. And does it have a recovery partition you can boot to?

5. selectah_eric thread starter macrumors newbie

I have already done this and got the same issue. Even did a internet recovery where you hold the option+command+r to bring up the spinning world that allows u reinstall the osx via the internet

6. selectah_eric thread starter macrumors newbie

Try that it boots the usb fine until it shows you the loading bar then disappear that includes the apple logo

7. shoehornhands macrumors regular

It can take quite awhile (15+ minutes) for the computer to boot into the USB installer (it can look like the computer is frozen / the progress bar isn't moving) so you might not be waiting long enough.

After the installer has loaded, you need to open up Disk Utility (from the Utilities menu at the top of the screen). From there, you need to erase the current OS X partition / create a new partition for the Yosemite installation (make sure the format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and "GUID Partition Table" is selected under "options").

After you've created a new partition, you can close out of Disk Utility and proceed with the installation (you simply select the new partition when asked where to install OS X and the installer does the rest).

8. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

It could also be something as simple as a bad stick of RAM. Since the OS loads into memory, having a bad stick can prevent it from loading up or randomly rebooting.

And yes, the OS X Mavericks and up USB installers take a super long time to load up sometimes. I remember installing from USB drives on Lion/Mountain Lion and they were much faster. All down to optimization I suppose.

9. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

I asked about AC vs. battery because I've had issues with a 17" shutting down suddenly if the discrete graphics are enabled and I try to run on battery.