MacBook Pro not booting up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keaganfowler, Jan 6, 2015.

1. keaganfowler macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but I'm having issues with my computer. Just today I was using it and the program I was using split in half and the screen freaked out. So I turned it off and opened it back up and it started working again for 15 minutes. Then it completely shut down. I put it into single user mode and did a disk check/repair. It worked and got me back into the desktop and I left it aside to download some things I was trying to download. Came back a few hours later and it was frozen. Turned it off and now even with single user mode I can't it on. What's also strange is I can't get it into recovery mode, safe mode or anything else except single user mode. It is a 2011 15 inch MacBook pro running the latest version of Yosemite. The last thing I will mention which I find strange is since Yosemite, my computer lets me choose a user and attempt to login before it proceeds to load any data, while all my other friends and family with macs on yosemite show the data loading then login screen. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I thought I'd mention it. Thanks ahead of time for the help, really appreciate it!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

2011 15"?

Radeongate hit your Mac.

It's a GPU failure.

Logic board replacements will not work because they all contain the same manufacturing flaw that causes Radeongate to happen again.

Your only solution is to do a lead-solder reball (not worth it on such an outdated GPU), or to buy a new rMBP.

I got bummed by Radeongate too, and switched to the rMBP.

The cMBP's thermal design and ventilation was lousy, causing heat to build up quickly and weaken the solder over time.

The rMBP runs much cooler and has a far better thermal design and ventilation.

3. keaganfowler thread starter macrumors newbie

Really appreciate the help! Do you know of a way I could boot up just using the Intel HD graphics instead of the amd? I'm curious if that could work.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No

as far as I can tell with the endless repitition of this problem here (Apple will get sued for this I think) there is no way to do this many have tried, I have not seen it stated as successful anywhere though...

5. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Unfortunately, that method doesn't even let you boot with Intel graphics. Rather, it completely disables hardware acceleration, so everything is rendered by software, giving a very choppy UI and experience.

Even on Intel HD 3000, all animations are still smooth.

This misconception of letting you boot with Intel only is wrong and must be corrected. The correct story is that it disables hardware acceleration completely and forces everything to be rendered by software alone.