Macbook Pro not booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Knifey-Spoony, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Knifey-Spoony macrumors member

I have a macbook pro (penryn) that just stopped working. I believe the hard drive just died on me because whenever I try to boot up, I just hear this clicking sound. I think I may have a bootable backup I made with SuperDuper! a while back on my external hard drive. I tried connecting it to my MBP but it wouldn't detect the drive. I only get the mouse cursor when I hold down the option key at boot.
    Does anyone know if this may be a known defect? Do you think Apple will replace the hard drive for me?
    Thanks,

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

I tried troubleshooting with most of the steps and still get the gray screen and clicking sounds. The only steps I didn't perform were the inserting the Mac OSX disc. I'm worried the disc will get stuck in the superdrive. Will the eject button still work?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You should be able to get the disc out of it if you get it to work

5. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

If I can't boot from the disc, how do I eject the disc?
    Thanks

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

7. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Hey, I can't offer anymore help than Hellhammer, I just wanted to let you know you have an excellent username.

8. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

Hahaha thanks.

I inserted the Mac OSX disc and still nothing. The disc won't even show up when restarting and holding down the option key. Any ideas?

Kind regards,
    Knifey-Spoony :D

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you're inside warranty, take it to Apple. Might be that there is a bigger issue with hardware

10. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks. The issue probably is because I dropped my MBP earlier yesterday, next thing I knew it wouldn't boot. I hope I won't have to replace the logic board/motherboard. Unfortunately I am out of warranty.

11. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

Just got back from the Apple store, and they said that the hard drive was done. In fact it was so badly damaged that it caused my MBP to not read the OSX disc and connected external hard drives. I wasn't aware that a damage hard drive could cause this. Anyway now I'm in the market for a new hard drive, any recommendations? I'm currently looking into this hard drive. http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_215_217&item_id=032426

12. eah2119 macrumors regular

Glad you figured out the problem! I had a similar issue. The HD was dead and it wouldn't start even with install disks. I think this is a recurring issue and should be fixed. I mean, booting from the install disks doesn't work? What's up with that? I love my Mac, but this may be a huge defect to one of the greatest computers of all time. Again, glad you fixed it. It took me forever to figure out the problem until I finally went to the Apple store. Good luck on picking a new HD.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds weird, HD failure should not affect booting from other sources. Anyway, the drive you linked is a good one, it would probably be my choice as well

14. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

Completely agree with you!

Yeah that's what I thought. I hope the person at the Apple store knows what she was talking about. I don't want to replace the hard drive and still have the same issue.

15. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

Okay I just swapped in my new hard drive. Is it best to reinstall OSX and then restore from Time Machine. Or just restore from Time Machines from the get go?
    Thanks

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO install + TM, it will give you fresh system files