MacBook Pro not booting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hendan, Feb 6, 2011.

1. hendan macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm not new to macs, but I do have a question I don't know where else to put it.

Anyway, so here's my situation. I have a 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz, 2 GB ram. A few months ago I upgraded the 160 GB harddrive with a 320 GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue. All went well, until this morning when it 'experienced some shock', at which point it became very slow and unresponsive (but did not crash). I force restarted it, and every time, it will go to the grey Apple logo, and get stuck there.

So, what I have tried. I have turned it on and off several times, unplugged it, (and I took off the bottom and disconnected that battery as well. not what I removed the bottom for, but figured it wouldn't hurt), tried starting up from a disk (takes a little bit to load, but will get to the install page), tried starting up from my Time Machine backup (it took a long time with that too, and never got anywhere), and I've gone to disk utilities. Verifying and repairing disk permissions it did without complaint, but when I went to verify, and then to repair the disk, both times it gave me an error

For repair it said:
    Invalid node structure
    Volume check failed.
    Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

Verify all the same except instead of invalid node structure it said Invalid record count

So, I'm pretty sure my (warranted) HD is bust, but I just want to make sure, and be sure that nothing else is broken as well.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can try repartitioning the drive but it's a last ditch effort before getting the drive replaced.

Start up to your 10.5/10.6 install DVD, and choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Choose the volume (non-indented, first entry) and click the Partition tab. Change the volume scheme to 1 partition, click on the Options button below and make sure it is set to GUID partition scheme. Then hit Apply, this will prompt you to confirm that you want it to erase and repartition, clearing all data on the drive. Assuming it completes the repartition, reinstall the OS. If the repartition fails you have a truly failed hard drive. If you have a Time Machine backup, after the install, you can migrate from the backup.

3. hendan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so taking your suggestion, I re-partiond the harddrive, and got a complete install of 10.5. Then I got my 10.6 upgrade disk and went to do that, so I could migrate over from my Time Machine, and it quit 3 times. So, I think I'm in for a new hard drive. But the warranty will take care of it.