MacBook Pro not charging after repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by runebinder, Oct 18, 2009.

1. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Hi, have only had my MBP back for just over a week after a repair and it's not charging. One of the things they replaced was the logic board.

I also had an issue with my MagSafe where the cable was coming out of the housing and there are wires exposed. Had to replace it myself as they said the issue on that was not covered. It also had a very dim green light (only notice it in a dark room), and the not charging message by the battery icon after the repair but I figured this was due to the MagSafe, however was only able to buy a new one yesterday.

So got the new charger home, plugged it in and same thing, so definitely not the MagSafe at fault. Took the MBP and new MagSafe back to the shop and same there. They then plugged the charger into one of their MacBooks, red light came on the charger fine. The weird bit was they then plugged it back into mine and the red light came on again.

So chalked it up to a weird computer anomaly and went home, and surprise surprise the problem's back. Have tried a SMC reset but that hasn't worked. Rebooting, unplugging and replugging has made no difference.

Pretty much figured it's gonna be a fault with the charging circuits on the logic board, was wondering if anyone else had other ideas as just been without my MBP for 3 weeks and not happy about the thought that it's gotta go off for repair again.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Not sure if it will help but have you got your MacBook charger plugged into a main power outlet and not in a multiple socket gang adapter? It sound like your MacBook is trying to draw the power but the power is not there.

3. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

It's directly in a wall socket, have tried about 3 different sockets so not that at issue. Also did the same at the shop until they plugged their MacBook in.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Sorry than I have not got a clue as to what the problem might be, hopefully someone else will jump in and have an answer for you.

5. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

No worries. Well took it down the shop, they tried a new MagSafe fresh out of the box, still the same so it has been booked in for repair again. I've only had for a week in the last month :(

6. bspierce macrumors newbie

charging issue

I would be interested to hear what went wrong, I am having the same issues and just got my MBP back from repair (logic board). I feel your pain. It will charge for about 3 minutes here and there but not enough to do any good.

7. FOX160 macrumors regular

Having the same problem with my Daughters Mac Book its a 2007 model
    But at first I bought a new charger then no joy.
    I then taken it to an Apple store and received a call later saying it needed
    a new battery and for the first two charges all seemed well, then it would not
    charge.
    I then taken it back and they said they seated the terminals and all was well
    then after one charge and nothing.

i then taken the it back, but to another Apple store they plugged there power cord in and all was well, but they still taken it in and they replaced the
    power connection terminal and said to have checked this over night and all
    was go! But after two charges the same again and i was about to take it back today but plugged the charger in and it started to charge.

Some one must have the answer!

8. maluut macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue after getting my logic board replaced from Apple. I just got back home and it will not receive power to the computer, only running from the battery. No LED light. After $280 to fix I am pretty disappointed at the thought of another trip to that stupid store.