Macbook pro not charging or running off AC power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drummerdimitri, Apr 25, 2010.

1. drummerdimitri macrumors newbie

Hello people, I've recently experienced a problem with my mac. It shutdown when the battery had lost all of it's juice and wouldnt charge or run off the AC power. The charger is not the problem, nor is it the battery, but I believe it has something to do with the internal power supply circuitry of the laptop. The tiny light on the tip of the charger that's usually green when fully charged or not charging and red when charging is not glowing anymore. I believe a power surge was the cause of the problem or some elctro-static discharge of some sort. Whatever the problem is, it needs to be fixed ASAP! Does anyone know what the problem might be? I will be taking it to an apple repair center tomorrow to have it fixed; but in the meantime, your input on the subject matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

How do you know the charger is not the problem? Have you tested it on another Mac?

Try resetting the SMC, Apple site will show you how. That might help

3. Sabreknight macrumors newbie

Power issue, 2008 13" macbook 2.0GHz

I have the exact same problem. I replaced the power adapter, didn't fix it. Drove an hour to the nearest Apple dealer, charged me $75 to diagnose, but couldn't tell me exactly what the problem was. On their advice, replaced the battery. Same problem. Have tried resetting the chips. Only thing left to do is replace the logic board. I spent years looking forward to the day I could afford a macbook, thinking they were superior to pc's etc, how wrong I was, I have hardly used this thing, it's only had 70 charges. Problem happened just outside warranty, wouldn't help me out, last Apple product I ever buy. It' got a dead pixel as well. I'm going to write Steve Jobs and tell him what I think. I don't have a spare $2000 to throw away every 12 months, the responsibility should be on them to make gear that lasts, not on me to buy extended warranty.

4. chessterino macrumors newbie

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you mean by that?
    Batteries need to be used regularly to stay healthy. If they're not stored properly or left on AC power all the time, they will not last as long.
    Warranty will only cover batteries if they're defective, as they are consumable items. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    About LCD display pixel anomalies for Apple products released before 2010
    PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with power/batteries/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC will address these issues.