Macbook Pro not finding external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HMFarm, Mar 8, 2018.

1. HMFarm macrumors newbie

HMFarm

Well, not finding it consistently, anyway.

So My 13" non-TB MBP is a few weeks old.

Got a big, beautiful 32" ASUS monitor to go with it; have it set up as dual (non-mirrored) displays.

Everything goes swimmingly initially.

But then - I unplug and use the computer elsewhere for a while.

Go plug it back in, and it will not recognize the external monitor.

The only consistent way for it to find the monitor is to reboot both the computer and the monitor at the same time.

If I monkey with unplugging / replugging the monitor cable into the computer while turning the monitor on & off, eventually that works too but not in a consistent or predictable way. The timing and sequence does not seem to have anything to do with it...it just works like one in 7 tries.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

2. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

There's no fix. This type of problem occurs with virtually all displays and all Macs with Thunderbolt/USB-C display ports. Apple completely pooped-the-bed with USB-C/T-Bolt connectors, and we're all paying dearly for it.

3. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

how old is the cord you are using to connect the computer to the monitor?

4. bhatiak macrumors member

Unrelated question, but what resolution is that Asus monitor? And what temperatures does your MBP nTB reach while dual displaying and doing various tasks? Thanks!

5. csurfr macrumors 68020

As @impulse462 said above. How old is the cable, what brand and how are you connecting it?

I have a 34” ultra wide using usb-c to hdmi and have had zero issues with my MacBook Pro detecting it every time.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP's problem:
    "The only consistent way for it to find the monitor is to reboot both the computer and the monitor at the same time.
    Any ideas?"

Fishrrman's solution:
    Reboot both the computer and monitor at the same time.