MacBook Pro Not Fully Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbydd21, Jun 26, 2013.

1. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

Hey guys. I recently got a 15" rMBP and noticed something going on with the battery. The battery status at the top of the screen says it is charged 100%. However, when I look in battery health, as well as in the system profiler, it says that it is not charged to 100%. I uploaded a picture of this below. Also, when the MacBook Pro is unplugged, the percentage drops in Battery Health, but stays at 100% at the top of the screen. It eventually drops from 100% but does so after the battery has clearly been used a bit. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is or is this normal? Is it even worth bringing it to Apple? Thanks a lot!

[​IMG]

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

On mine, the menu bar reads 100% even when iStat Menus clearly shows still 30 minutes to full charge. So the menu percentage is definitley psychologically "adjusted".

3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

There's much more to charging the battery than simply charging it to 100% and keeping it there. Chances are the icon goes into a "dumb user" mode towards the end of the charge.

In order to try and maintain battery health it won't keep the battery at 100% if it's plugged in all the time, it will let the battery cycle. Over time you'll likely see it drop down to about 95% and then work it's way back up to 100% even though it was never unplugged and the charge status/LED never changed.

3rd party tools are probably reading the raw values and don't have the same logic as the menu icon. I wouldn't worry about it as I don't really see any problem.

4. bobbydd21 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh okay thank you for the responses! I won't worry about it then. Sounds pretty normal it seems.