MacBook Pro - Not just for video editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac8867, Oct 14, 2010.

1. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Sorry, if there was a proper thread to post this. I just read the "Which MacBook should I buy Guide"... and I have to tell you, I was a little put off by it.

The guide seemed to focus on the video editing world, which is fair enough as the mac platform is clearly a leader in that space.

But let me tell you about my little 13" MBP, and what it does for me. I am a professional software consultant. I literally fly around the world almost on a weekly basis with my machine. I write strategic plans, analysis and design documents, implementation strategies etc... I also write software (coding). I have about 2 dozen tools I use for different purposes. I often have 2 or 3 virtual machines running simultaneously. All this --- and I rarely can be found without my earbuds in and iTunes running.

13" ??? yup--- because it's small and light. With spaces and expose, I have the screen real-estate equivielent of a 50" monitor at my fingertips. Would I have preferred an i5 or even i3 processor, absolutely... would I have preferred a graphics upgrade, not really - but that's just my need.

So, I politely say to the folks writing the "which should I buy guide" --- it might be time to update your recommendations. Long live the small footprint power of the MBP!

2. The General macrumors 601

Spaces is a pain in the ass, and even using it, programs like final cut and after effects are still confined to 1280x800 which is just unacceptable.

I can't even imaging editing video on a 1280x800 screen. You must be joking.

3. mac8867 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldn't even begin to understand how to edit images, and I am certain your assessment is right on. However, it's just not something I am faced with either professionally or personally. Spaces is perfect for my world, where I run lots of apps simultaneously.

My point was that the MBP is a tool that suits many different professions. And the guide was tuned to only one of those.

4. The General macrumors 601

Ah, I see the point of your post. Yeah, if you're not going to be using video or photo editing software (or any program with a heavy UI, like CAD software), then the extra screen real estate isn't entirely necessary.

Web browsing, typing text, etc. is fine on a 13" MBP or even MB for that matter.

5. mac8867 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh... but it's even more than that. For example, right now, I am waiting for a neural network to complete analyzing a data set for fraudulent activities. The Centos host Oracle Database Virtual machine is one space to the left. The application program (neural net) is running in a separate Centos Virtual machine one space down. And the development code tool (netbeans in this case) is two spaces down. My email is one space left and one down.

Surfing the web was an after thought when I started work this morning.

6. mmulin macrumors 6502

yes, i am in a similar situation on my MBA. enough for the job! i think those guides should incorporate more user profiles than just video editing, which btw i also do but on my MP at home..