Macbook pro not letting me install snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Psychomoi, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Psychomoi macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm honestly not very mac saavy and was just wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I'm trying to install 10.6 on my old Macbook Pro but everytime the installer says I cannot install Mac Os X on this computer. I checked the requirements for the install and my computer meets them so I do not understand what is going on, could it have anything to do with my computer being too old for it? Trying to install it on a 15" Macbook Pro 2ghz Intel Core Duo from 2007. I'm also trying to jump from 10.4 to 10.6, could that be the issue? Any insight on this would be very appreciated.

2. celticpride678

You cannot upgrade directly from 10.4 to 10.6. You need to clean install it.

3. natewsmith macrumors regular

What you might want to try is to just completely format and then try to install 10.6. That should work.

4. Psychomoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for the quick reply. Are there any guides around here on how to do that safely? Like I said I don't know too much about this kind of stuff and I don't want to hopelessly screw it up and have nothing left after it.

5. natewsmith macrumors regular

Sure to completely format:

Install Disc

Click on Utilities instead of Next

Computer will Reboot so you can access them.

Click on Utilities in the Bar at the top left and Click on Disc Utilities

Click on the top Disc (not Macintosh HD) and click on Partition.

Click on the drop down for where it says current and change to 1. There you can rename Macintosh HD and that is the quick way.

The other way is to click on the Erase tab on top and click on Security Options and choose how you want to erase and then click Erase.

From there the disc will erase depending upon how big your hard drive is for time and then all you do is click the red button and it will take you back to the main screen to install. * Make sure you keep the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the GUID partition table.

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

As others haave said, you need to do a clean install from the retail SL install DVD, but that requires using Disk Utility to make a new partition or at least to erase the disk, so all of your data will be wiped from the disk. You do realize that I hope. Backup everything before proceeding further! Then after the install copy your data back or use the migration assistant to recreate your previous user from a Time Machine volume. TM:apple: is good at this so it may be worth the purchase of a cheap USB case and drive just for this procedure. Personally I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a backup before doing a clean install, another viable way to be safe.
    Ask if you have any more questions. Better to seem a little "weak" on this than to lose all of your data. :eek: