Macbook Pro not reading disc

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Here
I am able to watch dvds on my Macbook Pro, but when I insert a CD with photos or music on it, it doesn't read it and says "you just inserted a blank CD".

ALSO, I'm not able to burn CD's.

Anyone know what the issue is and how to fix it?

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Here
Yes. If I burn a photo disc at work, it shows up as a blank CD on the MBP. If I put it in another work computer, it shows the photos. Think something is wrong.

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Here
Thanks for your help so far. I put three CD's in. They all work. It's only burned CD's.

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Here
Burned a disc on her MACBOOK, nothing! Still says "you have just inserted a blank disc" ARGH!!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Burned a disc on her MACBOOK, nothing! Still says "you have just inserted a blank disc" ARGH!!
Ok, try going into system preferences and creating a new account. Then try the burnt CD in the new account. If that doesn't work, if you have windows installed on the computer; try the CD using windows. If it works in windows, it is due to Mac OS X, if it doesn't work, it's a hardware issue.

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Here
I made an account- disc doesn't work on that either.
I don't have Windows. I guess it must be a hardware issue and of course my warranty on this computer expired a year ago.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
The problem is the junk drives Apple puts in their laptops, iMacs and Minis.
Totally agree, my friend's MacBook Pro Superdrive kicked the bucket a couple months ago. The same has happened to mine in the past as well, although I was under Applecare when it happened.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
The SuperDrive in my iMac stopped working last Christmas. I would insert a disc, it would try and read it, then eject it. They place I shipped it to replaced it with a Pioneer drive and it works great. Doesn't seem to be as loud as the MatsuSHITa either.

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Here
Went to the Apple store today. "Genius" said it would cost 250 bucks to fix.
Optical laser is not working.

You think an external superdrive would work just as well. I can get one of those for much cheaper.

Thoughts on what I should do?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Went to the Apple store today. "Genius" said it would cost 250 bucks to fix.
Optical laser is not working.

You think an external superdrive would work just as well. I can get one of those for much cheaper.

Thoughts on what I should do?
I'd replace it myself, you can get the drive for about $85 after shipping. I posted a link to the guide a bit earlier, it is a pretty easy repair :)