MacBook Pro not reading DVD+R or DVD-R, help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ymer, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Ymer macrumors newbie

It used to read everything (pretty new btw, 3 months old... never used the DVD drive much) and now after downloading all recent upgrades (at least that's when I noticed it) it won't read DVD-R nor DVD+R anymore.

Is there anything I can do or do I have to send it back to Apple? There's no Apple store in the city I live (Passau - Germany). :confused:

Thanks in advance!

2. hotsauce3868 macrumors member

I have heard zapping the PRAM has worked for some people. You can do that by:

When starting up a Mac, or after a restart, immediately hold down the Command-Option-P-R keys. On startup you will hear the first system chime (which is normal and will happen whether you are holding down the keys or not). Continue to hold the keys down until you hear two subsequent chimes. After a three total system chimes you can let go of the keys and let the Mac continue to startup normally.

3. Ymer thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Ymer thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, after sometime using after resetting the PRAM it died again. Now it won't read almost anything --- and I've tried resetting the PRAM again.

Is there anything I can do? :(

5. ophidean macrumors member

I had the same thing happen. Took it to a genius with a bunch of DVDs to show the problem and found out I need to swap out the superdrive. Mine is still under warranty so I need to set up an appointment to have it done.