Macbook pro not recognising blank dvds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zedsdead185, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,
    Wondered if you could help me.

I'm trying to use iDVD 7 to burn to a new DVD movie. However, when it comes to inserting the blank dvd it dosen't recognise it. All that happens is it makes a lot of noise in my drive whilst a message says something like 'waiting for media to be recognised'. Anyone help please? heres what i've tried:

-Repairing permissions
    -using a blank dvd with another program, (and didn't recognise it again, therefore i think its my mbp)
    -tried using other dvds
    -Changed the idvd project

Some things to take in mind are that the dvds are 16x R+, and the drive is 8x and says it accepts R+ in system profiler. Also my drive has worked before. The other day I began to burn the same idvd project onto a dvd and it began to work, but then stopped it as i realised that i had missed something out in the project. ( when i say burned, it didn't actualy start burning to disk, but it did recognise it, which it doesn't do at all now)

Please help, i hope i don't have to take it to applecare

2. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

3. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

As I have already stated, my drive accepts DVD+R according to system profiler.

Thanks for the link, hopefully i won't have to resort to that tho. I've been told that resetting the PRAM is likely to solve the problem. I will give it a shot in a bit, but first I'm gonna take screenshots of my preferences so i can set them back after =P

4. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I finally got round to resetting the PRAM, and its changed absolutely nothing concerning the disk drive problem. I've even gone through a thorough maintenance session with onyx with no luck. :(

Is there no-one out there who has had this problem at all? no help? If I don't get it sorted by monday then i will be taking it to the applestore.

5. snake101st macrumors regular

Im having the same problem with my brand new macbook pro. Im using dvd+r as well and the drive says it accepts it. Im going to have to get some -R's and try my luck. :/

Edit: a Dvd-r worked, cool.

6. ageha macrumors regular

If the drive doesn't know the code of your media it will not accept it obviously. Every maker has it's own code for every type of media. There are hundreds of different media codes on the market and every drive supports just a subset.

7. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hiya Guys,

Just thought I'd reply to say that the problem has now been solves :)

After taking it to the Apple store in the bullring in brum, a genius took a look at it and almost instantly said that it was the superdrive that was faulty. So it has now been repaired, I have it back, and am burning a dvd with it right now. In fact, they are the same dvds that I originally used, so it wasn't compatibility problems. :D

Strange thing about the repair tho that i wanted to add is that, an hour after handing it in for repair i had a phone call from apple asking if i had ever had it repaired before. After explaining that i had it repaired at the same store a few months ago for the keyboard not working, they told me that there were several parts missing from inside!!! Apparently, whoever repaired it last time probably had the same training as a chimp. So the entire case has also been replaced.
    Just thought i'd share my story...

Anyway, thanks for the help guys :cool:

8. iTouch macrumors 6502

That's great. I get occasional problems with my Super Drive spitting out burned discs sometimes. I just use my external when that happens. But I'm kind of surprised that an Apple certified tech would be so lazy or poorly trained. I know it happens but it that's redicilious.