Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KatieFay21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2017
So out of the blue my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro is not recognizing ANY hard drive. I am getting the folder with the question mark even after replacing SATA cable. Disk Utility cannot find the hard drive either. I have tried 3 different hard drives 1 of which I am currently using on a different MAC so I know it works. I have had no luck. This has happened twice before on my mid 2009 MBP and this is the second time it has happened now on the mid 2012 MBP. All the previous times, I was able to fix the problem with a new hard drive. I'm not sure if it matters, but the indicator light does come on in front of the hard drive when I first boot it up, but it turns off after several seconds. I have also already tried to SMC and PRAM reset. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix my MBP? I have ordered a USB SATA cord to see if I can fire it up from my hard drive externally. Also, the old hard drive does not work when inserted into my older MBP so I think something might have fried it too. It my computer toast? Thank you!!

KatieFay21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2017
I do think my replacement drive was not entirely compatible with Mac, so I did return it; however, my fully functioning hard drive out of my other working MBP will not work in it either. I think it's definitely something with my MBP, not the hard drive. The faulty MBP won't recognize that it even has a hard drive in disk utility.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Could it be that the hard drive cable is still bad? I recommend replacing the cable again.

I haven't come across any drives (mechanical or ssd) that didn't work in a 2011 13" mbp.

KatieFay21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2017
I went ahead and ordered another one this morning. I'm really hoping I can salvage my MBP. I have a time machine backup on a WD passport so I'm not worried about my data, but I'm really hoping it's not a logic board problem.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I hope you are able to save it. The symptoms you described address the same symptoms I experienced on a 2010 13" and 2009 15.4". Both cases were resolved with a cable swap.

Unless the machine was dropped and the motherboard was affected, the most likely problem is the cable, not the motherboard.

KatieFay21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2017
That's what I was hoping for too, but was rather disheartened when the cable swap didn't fix it. It is quite possible that it could have been dropped. I have an almost two year old and my baby sitter (MIL) occasionally uses the MBP when she is watching him and doesn't always put it away when she is done. I was told of a few tumbles off the couch a few months back, but didn't think anything of it since it was working fine then. She denies that it tumbled recently though.

KatieFay21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2017
Do I have to do any other reconfiguring to make that work, or will my MBP recognize it as a hard drive as soon as I make the switch? I really don't use my optical drive for much so this would not be a big loss for me.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don't really have to do anything as your Mac will look for a bootable drive during boot up.

Let's hope the cable replacement works as it is a bit of a pain to replace the optical drive. It's doable with some patience and a good video from ifixit.

KatieFay21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2017
Okay, thank you so much for all your help! Will update and let you know if the cable fixes it. It should hopefully be here sometime tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.