Macbook Pro not recognizing hdmi audio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luke458, Jan 27, 2011.

1. luke458 macrumors newbie

Hi I am new to the forums. I have a macbook pro late 2010 model. I purchased a mini display port to hdmi adapter and hooked that to my vizio l37 tv and the picture worked fine but the audio wont work. I have searched the forums and cant find an answer. I saw the guide to hooking my mac to a display and my adapter is compliant with the new macbooks for audio through hdmi. There are reviews for the cable from people saying the audio works fine when they go into system preferences then sound and select the tv for sound but mine will not recognize my tv for sound. Ive read some people change their tv from digital to analog sound but my only option is from digitalhd to dvi which i tried and it did not work. I hooked it up with a 3.5 mm to rca jack to my preamp for my surround sound and that works but i would much rather just use the hdmi instead of having all those cables. I realize that the audio will only be stereo and not dolby surround but that is fine i would just like to get the audio working through hdmi. Thanks

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

3. himesh macrumors regular

I bought this and I can't get the sound to work either and I have followed the steps, I think it could be my TV as I have tried it on another TV and its fine :confused: so what I've done is plugged the Mac into the speakers in my room and listen that way.

4. luke458 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought this cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HU629E/ref=oss_product which is a knockoff of the one at the apple store but when I tried it on my friends tv it worked fine with audio. I think it is a setting with my tv or maybe my computer? I really don't know

5. luke458 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to the apple store chat today and gave a rep my serial # to check to see if my laptop was one of the versions compatible with audio just to see if even the moshi cable would work and the rep said that mine wasnt the newer version that supports this. But I got my computer in august of 2010 which I thought was the cut off? Is he incorrect? Im guessing not but Im not too familiar with apple customer support if its like verizon then theres a really good chance hes wrong lol