Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Ok, here's the situation: suddenly, my mac is not recognizing one of my western digital mypassport hard drives. I already tested it out on both usb ports and they are not being recognized. Also i switched the cables and still doesn't work. Then I checked if it was recognized in disk utility: the drive shows up, but it doesn't recognized it's inserted.. Help anyone? It has my time machine.. backups. i need it desperately; I just reinstalled my mac. :confused::rolleyes:

yayitsezekiel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Irvine, CA
Ok, here's the situation: suddenly, my mac is not recognizing one of my western digital mypassport hard drives. I already tested it out on both usb ports and they are not being recognized. Also i switched the cables and still doesn't work. Then I checked if it was recognized in disk utility: the drive shows up, but it doesn't recognized it's inserted.. Help anyone? It has my time machine.. backups. i need it desperately; I just reinstalled my mac. :confused::rolleyes:

have you tried plugging your hard drive into another computer and seeing if it comes up?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

not sure if this applies here but sometimes my mac doesn't correctly display the partition info on my drive and I have to hook it up to my windows computer and set the partition as active for it to work properly using the comuter management feature in the admin thing in the control panel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.