MacBook Pro Not Remembering Volume Settings

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sherina, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Sherina macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this is just me or if everyone experiences this but I usually shut down my computer when I'm not using it for long periods of time. When I boot up my computer it will remember the settings I have for the internal speaker but when I plug in my headphones it always goes to 3/4 volume which is way too loud for me. Is there a way I can get it to remember my headphone settings too?

2. kolax macrumors G3

It should do.

Sure you aren't plugging in external speakers to it or something and turning the volume up?

3. Sherina thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure. I just plug in a pair of earbuds, and set the volume to almost nothing them I shut down my macbook and it resets the volume up 3/4 full volume when I start it back up.

4. jpma macrumors 6502

5. Ann P macrumors 68020

I'm running 10.6.2 and I've always had this problem. Every time I unplug and plug in my headphones it goes straight to 3/4. I thought this was normal.

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

There is a plist or two you can delete to fix it, but for me that only fixed it for one reboot cycle.

I usually set the volume to almost nothing because my earbuds are so sensitive (more sensitive than the Apple earbuds). Apple needs to add an earbud output mode to the sound card that automatically lowers the volume when you select that you have earbuds not speakers plugged in. In fact, just lowering the volume is not good enough because the earbuds are still sensitive enough to pick up electrical noise, so they need to attenuate the output signal with hardware (resistors) at the end of the analog path.

A simple solution is a volume knob like this
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029U0X6/
    but we shouldn't need that for MBPs when iPods don't need them.

7. AaronX macrumors member

8. Sherina thread starter macrumors newbie