Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Ok, for the last week or so my MBP has been giving me trouble. First, I have smcfancontrol installed on my MBP (I think this may have something to do with it to some extent). Whenever I close the lid of my MBP and have it in sleep mode for less than a half hour at times, I will open the lid and input my password (sometimes it doesn't even ask for my password, which I have it set to ask for it) and the MBP will be burning hot, in the ~145F range and it seems like it will burn my hand when I am holding it. This even happens if I have no demanding tasks open like Parallels or anything to that extent. Another thing that happens is the battery life depletes crazy fast when it is supposedly in sleep mode. Like if I put my MBP to sleep and drive to school, when I get there and use it after 20 minutes or so, the battery will have gone down from 100% to like 78% or something like that. (I have recalibrated my battery, so it's not a battery issue) What's up with this computer, I hate having to turn it off everytime I don't want it to be 145F and major battery life gone when I wake it up. (It does this with both smcfancontrol running and not running, but the fans are still going at the RPM I have it set at when smcfancontrol is running and I put it to sleep.)

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
do you have the EFI firmware update installed (from a few months back - October '06, i think)?

what happens if you manually put the computer to sleep (Apple > Sleep) instead of just closing the lid?

how about uninstalling smcfancontrol if you think that's the problem (FWIW, i don't have any problems with that app on my MBP).

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yes, I have the firmware update installed. And I have smcfancontrol quit and it still does it, I was just noting that incase it was a common problem. I haven't tried manually putting the computer to sleep, but I'll try that.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I put it to sleep through the Apple menu and I let it sleep for about an hour and it's less than a hundred degrees. I might add that it always seems to happen when it is in my laptop bag, so maybe the heat is adding up, but sleep mode shouldn't produce much heat at all.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
one time (before the firmware update was released), the same problem you're describing happened to me. i attributed it to the fact that i didn't actually put the computer to sleep before i closed the lid. now i always make sure i manually put it to sleep before the lid is closed (instead of relying on the computer to put itself to sleep when i close the lid). i don't know if this is how it should work but i know that it does work.

macreator

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
one time (before the firmware update was released), the same problem you're describing happened to me. i attributed it to the fact that i didn't actually put the computer to sleep before i closed the lid. now i always make sure i manually put it to sleep before the lid is closed (instead of relying on the computer to put itself to sleep when i close the lid). i don't know if this is how it should work but i know that it does work.

I have the exact same issue with regard to sleep. I've got a first gen (February '06) MacBook Pro and I've found that on average the only effective way I can really get my computer to go to sleep is by manually selecting sleep, waiting a second, and then closing the lid. I've found closing the lid is unreliable and usually results in the screen shutting off (so it looks like the computer is asleep) with the computer itself remaining active, thereby using battery and heating up. Also, sometimes if my MacBook Pro hasn't gone to sleep properly, I'll have it freeze up when I open the lid.

I've also got the infamous whine, and so now that Apple appears to have a fix for the whine I am considering sending mine in for repair. The trouble is finding a week where I can go without my computer.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
I have the exact same issue with regard to sleep. I've got a first gen (February '06) MacBook Pro and I've found that on average the only effective way I can really get my computer to go to sleep is by manually selecting sleep, waiting a second, and then closing the lid. I've found closing the lid is unreliable and usually results in the screen shutting off (so it looks like the computer is asleep) with the computer itself remaining active, thereby using battery and heating up. Also, sometimes if my MacBook Pro hasn't gone to sleep properly, I'll have it freeze up when I open the lid.

I've also got the infamous whine, and so now that Apple appears to have a fix for the whine I am considering sending mine in for repair. The trouble is finding a week where I can go without my computer.

sounds like a trip to the Apple Store might be a better bet. they might decide to flat-out replace it for you. or, if you have AppleCare, give Apple a call first. the phone people, in my experience, are more willing to help than the in-store people.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
sounds like a trip to the Apple Store might be a better bet. they might decide to flat-out replace it for you. or, if you have AppleCare, give Apple a call first. the phone people, in my experience, are more willing to help than the in-store people.

I bought AppleCare, so I'll call them today. Hopefully I can get a replacement, because I really don't want to have a burnt hand from taking my laptop out of the laptop bag.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002

i've got this problem too, but i've only got a week left to consider buying apple care before my year is up!

r.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i've got this problem too, but i've only got a week left to consider buying apple care before my year is up!

r.

definitely get AppleCare. the cost of a repair (or replacement, in the worst case) is much more than the cost of AppleCare. $349 (less if you're eligible for the discount) is worth the peace of mind for knowing you're covered.

these are new machines and new problems might come up in a few months or years. it's best to be covered in case something happens that cripples your machine.

pauljbax

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2005
More MBP woes

Here is my MBP story. When I shut the lid of the machine, the CD/DVD drive makes a noise as if it is active! And then, after I have set the controls to show certain things (date and time, internet connection) in the tool bar and have locked the changes, sometimes on the next start up the prefs have changed! Not sure what is going on but its frustrating to say the least.

Any ideas?

definitely get AppleCare. the cost of a repair (or replacement, in the worst case) is much more than the cost of AppleCare. $349 (less if you're eligible for the discount) is worth the peace of mind for knowing you're covered.

these are new machines and new problems might come up in a few months or years. it's best to be covered in case something happens that cripples your machine.

Capricorn Dream

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
Everywhere
I have the same issue of the MBP only seeming to be asleep. I have Time and Date set to speak the hour, and it often speaks after being put away, supposedly asleeep. The tell-tale is: sometimes it has shut down (not just sleep) due to thermal overload, other times the battery has flattened because it's still running, and if I get it out of its case just before the thermal overload switches it off, it's very, very hot. Apple quizzed me, but I have done all the downloads, resetting, zapping, and installing. Everything's up to date. Apple said to take it to a service centre; the nearest being four hundred kilometres away, and I use it every day in my work. It's done this since new. Some other (possible) symptoms are: slow going to sleep from apple menu (30-60 secs) and when simply closing the lid, the light takes a looong while to start snoring. I usually nod off before the MBP. These symptoms vary a bit depending on whether I have reset the Power Management lately.
I've had about six Macs. It's a great computer, but I'm a little disapppointed.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i would try each of the following before calling Apple or going to an Apple store. these seem to fix most people's computers that have the same problems you're describing:

1 Reset the PRAM and NVRAM.
2 Reset the SMC.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
mine sometimes wont sleep when i close the lid, but it's usually if I've had some kind of peripheral plugged into the machine (like external firewire audio interface, or something). A reboot seems to clear it up...

I know always put my ear to my MBP after closing the lid before i put it in it's case, or at least, watch for the flashing front LED.

mine is also a Feb 06' machine, no whine or other issues at all on mine, except space bar is getting a little squeeky hehe

Capricorn Dream

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
Everywhere
i would try each of the following before calling Apple or going to an Apple store. these seem to fix most people's computers that have the same problems you're describing:

1 Reset the PRAM and NVRAM.
2 Reset the SMC.

I thought I said: I have downloaded, zapped, upgraded, and reset... to spell it out, that's pram, vram, power management, and firmware. Even Apple said I could do no more.
The general concensus is, from the combined research of those who suffer this annoying 'no-sleep', is that various tweaking has some affect but not a lasting one. There is no known cure, other than replacement, which, if what I read is correct, is happening in the US of A. My worry is, that if the thermal cut-out should fail, what then? I have seriously thought about keeping my fire extinguisher beside my bed.

It's a nice box, but compared to my iBook G4, it's a little wobbly.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
sorry, i missed that part. looks like you'll have to talk to Apple about getting a replacement or live with it. sorry there's nothing more i can suggest.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
I thought I said: I have downloaded, zapped, upgraded, and reset... to spell it out, that's pram, vram, power management, and firmware. Even Apple said I could do no more.
The general concensus is, from the combined research of those who suffer this annoying 'no-sleep', is that various tweaking has some affect but not a lasting one. There is no known cure, other than replacement, which, if what I read is correct, is happening in the US of A. My worry is, that if the thermal cut-out should fail, what then? I have seriously thought about keeping my fire extinguisher beside my bed.

It's a nice box, but compared to my iBook G4, it's a little wobbly.

question good sir, is your problem intermittent or consistent? seems like intermittent, given that a restart cures your prob.... right?

mine is intermittent. it developes a day or so after a restart, i bring it in, demonstrate it to the genius bar guy, they witness it, give it to the engineer who restarts it, and finds no problem.

what should i do? get apple care (seems most certainly now...) and try calling instead of going into a store?

thanks,
r.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
I have the same problem where it will not actually go to sleep when I close it, and get EXTREMELY hot and drain the battery from the fans, and sometimes shut itself down.

Is this a basis for replacement? These are definantly not the first problems I've had with it, and quite frankly, i'm getting fed up. If I call AppleCare, do they have the power to do anything physical, or do I have to actually take it to a store?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I had this happen to me again today. I did figure out one thing though, it only happened when I closed the lid of my MacBook Pro while a program was not responding, so maybe this is the root of the problem. Also, is anyone else who is having the problem running SMCfancontrol? (I think mine is version 1.2.3)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have the same problem where it will not actually go to sleep when I close it, and get EXTREMELY hot and drain the battery from the fans, and sometimes shut itself down.

Is this a basis for replacement? These are definantly not the first problems I've had with it, and quite frankly, i'm getting fed up. If I call AppleCare, do they have the power to do anything physical, or do I have to actually take it to a store?

I took mine in for repair for mainly this issue and it seems they replaced everything but the mother board. They replaced the screen, top casing and battery.

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
I took mine in for repair for mainly this issue and it seems they replaced everything but the mother board. They replaced the screen, top casing and battery.

Hey iBookG4user, did they ever figure out what the problem was? My MB is doing the same thing. It happens about once a week. I was thinking about taking it in if it is just a quick fix, but if not, then I might not bother. I don't want them having to replace it b/c the machine works beautifully other than this little hiccup. Thanks for any additional info.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Hey iBookG4user, did they ever figure out what the problem was? My MB is doing the same thing. It happens about once a week. I was thinking about taking it in if it is just a quick fix, but if not, then I might not bother. I don't want them having to replace it b/c the machine works beautifully other than this little hiccup. Thanks for any additional info.

I think I figured out the problem, although I'm not absolutely sure. I out lined it in the quoted post below.

I had this happen to me again today. I did figure out one thing though, it only happened when I closed the lid of my MacBook Pro while a program was not responding, so maybe this is the root of the problem. Also, is anyone else who is having the problem running SMCfancontrol? (I think mine is version 1.2.3)

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
if people stopped using hacks in their laptops, maybe they'll me more stable?

uhhhhhh.... no hacks here, same problem.

finally bought applecare, wondering how much i should press it with them, it depletes the battery when i need it most....

r.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
I've just started to get the problem. All the resets didn't help. Ugh. I don't want to bring it in because this is my only computer. Grr.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.